Compliance Question of the WeekFor the week of: March 01, 2010
I'm planning on running my own camp or working at someone else's camp. Will it be considered the same as an LMU camp?
Obviously any camp owned and operated by LMU is considered an institutional camp. But a camp will also be considered an institutional camp if LMU staff members are sufficiently involved in the camp.
The following are ways that a non-LMU camp can become an institutional camp:
- An LMU employee has a majority or controlling interest (51%) in the camp;
- An LMU employee and other institutions or institutional employees together have a majority or controlling interest (51% combined) in the camp;
- An LMU employee is directly responsible for the control or operation of the camp; or
- An LMU employee's name is used in the title of the camp.
The major effect is in basketball. Basketball coaches and staff members with basketball-specific responsibilities (e.g. directors of basketball operations) may only work camps that meet the definition of institutional camps, and may not work at noninstitutional camps or another institution's camps. So basketball coaches may work at any camp which meets any of the four requirements above, in addition to the normal requirements of camps and the extra limits and rules for basketball camps (i.e. June-August only and educational session required.
Prior to a coach working an outside camp/clinic, the director of that camp/clinic must complete the Non-Institutional Camp and Clinic form and have it approved by Compliance before he/she actually begins work.
Camps/Clinics -- Ownership by Multiple Institutions (I/II/III)
Date Published: February 11, 2010
Type: Staff Interpretation
Item Ref: a
The academic and membership affairs staff confirmed that a camp or clinic is considered an institutional camp or clinic if multiple institutions constitute majority ownership (e.g., 51 percent). Further, such a camp or clinic is considered an institutional camp or clinic for all institutions with any percentage of ownership (e.g., Institution A owns 40 percent and Institution B owns 25 percent, total ownership equals 65 percent; the camp or clinic is considered an institutional camp or clinic for both institutions).
[References: NCAA Division I Bylaws 184.108.40.206 (definition) and 220.127.116.11.3 (noninstitutional privately owned camps/clinics -- sports other than basketball and football); Division II Bylaws 18.104.22.168 (definition) and 22.214.171.124.3 (other noninstitutional privately owned camps/clinics); Division III Bylaws 126.96.36.199 (definition) and 13.12.4 (privately owned camp); and official interpretation (2/1/90, Item No. 12)]
Sports Camp or Clinic that Bears the Name of an Institution or Athletics Department Staff Member (I)
Date Published: February 26, 2010
Type: Staff Interpretation
Item Ref: a
The academic and membership affairs staff determined that a camp or clinic in which prospective student-athletes participate and that bears the name of a member institution or a current athletics department staff member (e.g., coach) is considered to be an institutional camp or clinic.
[References: NCAA Division I Bylaw 188.8.131.52 (definition of institutional camp or clinic) and official interpretation (02/01/90, Item No. 12)]
Bylaw 184.108.40.206 - Definition.
An institution's sports camp or instructional clinic shall be any camp or clinic that is owned or operated by a member institution or an employee of the member institution's athletics department, either on or off its campus, and in which prospective student-athletes participate. (Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01)
M. Basketball - 1/20/2018
Markusson Records Double-Double in Homecoming Loss
W. Basketball - 1/20/2018
Lions Earn 63-60 Victory Over Pilots With Thrilling...
W. Tennis - 1/19/2018
Lions Drop Season Opener at USC
Baseball - 1/19/2018
Casino Night, Alumni Game Both Set for January 27
M. Basketball - 1/19/2018
Homecoming Matchup Features Lions and Pilots
W. Water Polo - 1/19/2018
Women’s Water Polo Picked Third, Receives First-Pla...