Lions Fall in Overtime to Rival

Adom Jacko had 21 points and nine rebounds.
Jan. 2, 2016

MALIBU, Calif. - It was a defensive struggle from start to finish and LMU’s ability to not go away forced an extra frame. However, Pepperdine found a way to hold on in the extra session for 68-65 win in West Coast Conference action on Saturday night at Firestone Fieldhouse.

Adom Jacko led the Lions with 21 points and nine rebounds, scoring 19 points in the second half and overtime to fuel the Lions’ comeback. Brandon Brown finished with 12 points. Lamond Murray Jr. led four Waves in double figures. It was a defensive affair from start to finish. The Lions finished the game shooting just 37.3 percent, hitting 48.3 percent in the second half to erase the deficits. Pepperdine finished shooting 43.1 percent. The Lions held Pepperdine to just 1-for-11 shooting from long distance.

“Rebounding once again hurt us,” said Head Coach Mike Dunlap. “Our defensive effort was special tonight. Another positive tonight was our ability to keep attacking, not giving up. We can’t put ourselves in such a deep deficit, especially on the road. The process of learning how to win on the road continues for us.”

The Lions trailed 10-0 to start the game, trailed by 12 just six minutes into the game and then again by 10, 39-29, with 13:53 to play in the second half. However, the Lions never went away, and outscored the Waves 20-10 over the next seven minutes to tie the game for the first time, 49-49, with 6:29 to play on an Adom Jacko lay-up.

LMU would find themselves down against, this time five, 58-53, with 3:36 to play. They would have more fight in them, going on an 8-1 run to take their first lead of the game with 1:47 to play, 61-59, on a Jacko three-point play.

Jett Raines would hit two free throws with 1:33 to play to tie the game. It would end up sending the game to overtime. The Lions had a minute long possession, getting three offensive rebounds but could not capitalize. Then Pepperdine’s Jeremy Major missed a three-pointer and Raines missed a scoop shot at the buzzer.

The overtime was just as defensive oriented as the first 40 minutes as the teams combined for just 11 points. The Waves jumped out to a quick four-point lead. They managed to cut in half twice, including a Jacko lay-up with 14 seconds to play. Major would hit one of two free throws to give the Lions a chance to send the game to a second overtime. Steven Haney’s three-pointer to force a second overtime was off.

Pepperdine finished the game out rebounding the Lions 46-36 and held a 15-7 edge in second chance points. The Waves went 17-for-26 from the free throw line while LMU went 10-for-17.

The Lions finally return home when they host Saint Mary’s on Thursday, Jan. 7 at 7 pm. The game will be on and on KXLU 88.9 FM.

Support LMU’s 22 intercollegiate teams and it’s student-athletes through scholarships and team support.
Together WE ARE LMU Lions... join the pride today:
Join the Lions Athletic Fund | This is LMU




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago