Overtime Belongs to Lions Again

C.J. Blackwell had 13 points and 11 rebounds Saturday.

Dec. 10, 2011

Box Score

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - For the second straight meeting on the season, Idaho State and LMU went to overtime. And for the second straight time the Lions pulled out the win, this time erasing a 10-point second half deficit for an 80-72 win at Gersten Pavilion Saturday night.

The Lions (6-4) held Idaho State (2-7) to just one field goal for nearly 14 minutes down the stretch, including the first 3:44 of overtime to erase the 10-point deficit. While the defense held for the Lions, the offense went on a 22-5 run in that stretch that saw them post a 75-68 lead on their way to the eight-point overtime win.

"Our message was the same the entire game, we have to guard," said Head Coach Max Good. "Defense and rebounding wins games. And we just weren't guarding early. We sucked it up and got them to miss some shots, which allowed us to pull down some rebounds and get into transition. I liked how we fought down the stretch."

Freshman C.J. Blackwell had the Lions first double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds. He hit two free throws with 1.2 seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime. The Lions would score the first seven points of overtime, with Anthony Ireland scoring six of his 13 in the extra frame.

Five Lions finished in double figures, including Jarred DuBois with a team-high 15 points. LaRon Armstead added 14 points, followed by Blackwell and Ireland with their baker's dozen. Quincy Lawson had 11, all in the first half.

Four players from Idaho State had double figures, including Kenny McGowen with 21 points and a trio of Bengals adding 11 each.



"They have some great two-dribble, pull-up shooters. That is a team with some good pieces," said Good. "We struggled early, but once we started to contest better, it allowed us to get our offense going."

Unlike the first meeting where the game featured 24 lead changes and 11 ties, the second meetings was all about momentum and runs throughout the 40 minutes. The Bengals turned a three-point halftime deficit to a 10-point lead, 63-53, thanks to 69 percent shooting (11-for-16). The run was capped by Chase Grabau's three-pointer with 8:55 to play.

LMU would then go on their run, holding Idaho State to just a point in a 9-1 run over a 2:48 stretch to cut the lead to 64-62. Melvin Morgan hit a pair of free throws to make it 66-62 with 4:55 to play and Ireland would get it right back on a lay-in with 3:44 to play.

Grabau would add Idaho State's only field goal until 1:16 left in overtime to give the Bengals a 68-64 lead with 1:52 to play. DuBois' putback made it 68-66 with 1:28 to play before Idaho State would take possession with 44 seconds left. With the shot clock winding down, Ireland would create a steal with seven seconds on the clock.

With numbers in transition, Ireland's lay-up attempt would roll off to the right and Blackwell would grab the offensive rebound. He was fouled with 1.4 seconds to play. After a Bengal timeout, Blackwell drilled the first free throw. After another timeout, Blackwell's second free throw would circle the rim before falling through to send the game to overtime.

"If you can play defense and rebound, you will give your team a chance every time," said Good. "Blackwell did that tonight. He showed a lot of poise for a freshman in drilling those free throws. But the rebound was huge."

After a torrid pace early that saw both teams come out shooting better than 70 percent, the defenses settled in. LMU finished hitting 41.4 percent from the field while Idaho State went 44.4 percent. The Lions hit 9-for-27 from the three-point line and were 23-of-33 from the charity stripe. Idaho State was 11-for-14.

C.J. Blackwell finished with the Lions first double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds. It is the fifth consecutive season a freshman has had a double-double. Both Anthony Ireland and Ayodeji Egbeyemi had a double-double a year ago...

Quincy Lawson was busy in the first minute of the game, and it translated to a big first half. He started blocking a shot on Idaho State's first possession, scoring an and-one on the trip back down the floor, and then capitalizing on Anthony Ireland's pass in transition for a dunk. He was 2-for-2 with five points and the block with a game just a minute old. He would score all 11 of his points in the first half on 5-for-5 shooting, three on dunks...

HOT SHOOTING EARLY: The Lions started the game hitting 4-for-5 from the field in taking a 9-3 lead... Idaho State stormed back to take 16-11 lead with a 13-2 run over a stretch of 2:49... Idaho State lead 21-16 with 12:29 left in the first half. LMU was 7-for-11 from the field (63.2 percent) while the Bengals were 9-for-13 (69.2 percent)... The Bengals took their largest lead of the first half, 30-23, after Kenny McGowen hit a three-pointer with 7:48 to play. It moved their shooting percentage to 12-for-17 (70.6 percent)... LMU would take a 38-35 halftime lead thanks to its defense. The Lions held ISU to 2-for-12 from the field the final eight minutes, going on a 15-5 run to take the halftime lead...

Idaho State started the second half on a 16-6 run in the first 5:56 to take a 51-44 lead. Streaky shooting continued to rule as the Lions started 1-for-8 while ISU took the lead with 7-for-10 shooting... Ireland snapped the stretch with a three-pointer at 12:12, cutting it to 51-47...

LMU outrebounded Idaho State 43-32, and it equated to an 18-7 edge in second-chance points.



  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Adidas Wells Fargo Coke Muscle Milk LMU Hospitality LMU WCC NCAA