Rally Falls Short

Alex Osborne had nine points and 10 rebounds.

Dec. 19, 2012

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

LOS ANGELES -- Down by as many as 13, LMU erased all but one point of it in a fierce second half rally but fell short, falling to Ole Miss, 73-70, at Gersten Pavilion Wednesday night. Both teams finished with four players in double figures in a game that came down to the final seconds.

"I was proud that our guys didn't let up, stay composed and put us in the position to completely overcome the deficit," said Head Coach Max Good. "Ole Miss is a very good team and we battled hard all night, we just didn't get it done."

Anthony Ireland had 17 points, nine rebounds and five assists to lead the Lions (5-5). Ayodeji Egbeyemi hit 5-for-6 from the field for 14 points, while Ashley Hamilton had 13 points and eight rebounds and Chase Flint had 12 points, four assists and four rebounds. Starting for Godwin Okonji, Alex Osborne had nine points and a career-best 10 rebounds.

Ole Miss (8-1) was led b Marshall Henderson's 19 points and Murphy Holloway's double-double (16 points and 14 rebounds). Nick Williams added 13 points, scoring six in the key final five minutes, and Jarvis Summers had 12 points.

"We were worried about their rebounding edge coming in and we did a really good job in staying with them all game," said Good. Ole Miss finished with a 41-39 edge on the glass. "But when we needed a key rebounded in the final seconds, we didn't get it. But in the end we still had a chance but couldn't get the shot to fall."

The first 10 minutes was up-and-down as the game featured 11 lead changes early. A three-pointer by Ireland gave the Lions a 19-18 lead with 10:38 to play. Williams would hit one of seven first half three pointers by the Rebels to give the Rebels a 21-19 lead. They finished 8-for-19 for the game, going just 1-for-8 in the second half.

After an Egbeyemi dunk put the Lions' to within one, 24-23, Ole Miss would go on an 20-10 run to close the half with a 44-33 lead.

Ole Miss led by as many as 13 in the second half and led 59-50 after a Holloway jumper with 11 minutes to play. The Lions would then go on a 10-2 run, capped by Ireland's floater with 7:20 to play to make it 61-60.

Six straight points, four by Henderson, put the lead right back to seven, 67-60, with 5:50 on the clock.

The Lions wouldn't go away, posting a 6-0 run in just 34 seconds to get the lead back to one, this time on a three-pointer by Ireland.

The teams would trade baskets, and with a one-point lead, Summers hit a jumper and following an LMU miss, Williams would hit another to put Ole Miss up five, 73-68 with 1:04 to play.

Ireland would drive the lane and get fouled. He would hit both free throws to make it 73-70 with 43 seconds to play. After a timeout, the Ole Miss worked the clock down to 10 seconds and the Lions got a miss by Williams. However, Henderson got the offensive rebound and was sent to the line on a foul by Flint for a one-and-one opportunity.

"We needed that rebound. We did everything right and had been rebounding well all night, and just could get it," said Good. "But we still had a chance."

Henderson missed the free throw attempt and the Lions pushed the ball. Ireland's three-pointer missed short and he got the offensive rebound but couldn't get the putback to fall.

Ole Miss finished 9-for-15 from the line (60 percent) while LMU hit 13-for-20 (65 percent).

"Anthony had a good look, and on the rebound Chase was wide open in the corner," said Good. "We got good looks and still had a chance."

The Lions will head on the road to face Saint Louis on Saturday, Dec. 22 at 12:30 p.m (PT) The game can be seen on Fox Sports Midwest and heard on KXLU 88.9 FM.





  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
Adidas Wells Fargo Coke Muscle Milk LMU Hospitality LMU WCC NCAA