Road Trip Ends with 5-2 Loss at Portland

Oct. 14, 2007


Portland, OR - Portland scored four times in a 16-minute span of the second half as LMU dropped its third consecutive match 5-2 in a West Coast Conference match Sunday afternoon at Merlo Field in Portland, OR.

LMU (2-7-1, 0-3-0 WCC) twice led in the match but could not hang on as they played a man down for the final 63 minutes. Sophomore Wilkie Johnson gave the Lions the lead in the 14th minute with his first goal of the season and second of his career. Freshman Rafael Baca provided the pass for Johnson, who finished from eight yards out into the lower left corner. The assist was Baca's team-leading fifth of the season.

Portland (5-4-3, 2-1-2 WCC) equalized in the 21st minute through Bryan Irwin, who beat redshirt sophomore Patrick Sampson from 12 yards out, with the ball finding the net off the crossbar.

The match took a turn for the worse for LMU in the 27th minute when senior Nick Blanco was shown a red card after a collision with Alex Elliott. Despite playing a man down, the Lions went into halftime tied and retook the lead 11 minutes after the restart. In the 56th minute, senior Stephen Carlson picked a good time for his first career goal, converting from short range off a pass from sophomore Blayze Hanson.

The burden of playing with 10 men took its toll on LMU as the game wore on and the Pilots took advantage. Irwin tallied his second goal of the game in the 64th minute, heading in from six yards out off a cross from Ryan Oakes.

After Irwin's second equalizer, Ryan Luke scored his first goal to give Portland its first lead of the game. Collen Warner fed Luke with a through ball down route one. Luke finished with a shot that grazed the left post before finding the net, giving UP a 3-2 lead.



Five minutes later, Warner made it a 4-2 game. Oakes hit Warner in open space, just inside the top, left corner of the box. Warner took a touch before burying the shot into the right corner of the net. Luke then capped the scoring with another strike in the 81st minute, with Oakes and Elliott both picking up another assist.

The Pilots finished with 15 shots, while LMU countered with 11. UP also held a slim 4-3 advantage in corner kicks.

Pilots keeper Austin Guerrero made three saves during the match. Sampson, in his first start of the season, finished with four stops.

LMU returns to Los Angeles for a pair of matches next week. The Lions host San Francisco at 4 p.m. on Friday and then welcome Saint Mary's to Sullivan Field on Sunday at 2 p.m.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago