Season Concludes at San Francisco
Men's soccer plays its season finale at San Francisco Saturday night.
LOS ANGELES - The 2015 LMU men’s soccer season comes to a close Saturday, Nov. 14 as the Lions hit to road to face West Coast Conference rival San Francisco. Kick off from Negoesco Stadium is set for 7 p.m.
LMU enters its final match with an 8-9-0 overall record and 3-3-0 mark in WCC play. The Dons are 6-10-1 overall and 4-1-1 in league play.
• Cruz Corral scored his third goal of the season on Nov. 8 versus Santa Clara, but the Broncos tallied the game-winner in overtime to top the Lions, 2-1. • Alvaro Madrigal was one of three Lions to score at Pacific on Nov. 1, giving him a WCC-leading eight goals for the season. The sophomore also has three assists to give him a WCC-leading 19 points.
• LMU earned its seventh shutout of the season in a 3-0 win at Pacific on Nov. 1. Senior Paul Blanchette was the goalkeeper on record for the shutout, giving him seven for the season at 18 for his career. The seven single-season clean sheets ties his own LMU single-season record.
• Blanchette has twice been named WCC Player of the Week, earning the honor on Sept. 7 and Oct. 19. • John McFarlin earned his first assist of the season on Cruz Corral’s game-winner against Gonzaga (Oct. 16). The redshirt senior now has 19 for his career, and is two shy of the LMU record of 21, held by Arturo Torres (1999-02).
• The Lions opened the season with five straight wins for the first time in program history.
• The Lions ran off a program record 405:40 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal this season. The overall streak dated back to Nov. 4, 2014 and totaled 529:36 minutes. The streak was finally snapped on Sept. 11 at Bakersfield when the Roadrunners found the back of the net 40 seconds into the second half.
• Sophomore midfielder Alvaro Madrigal and junior defender Mark Dotseth were named to the All-Tournament team at last week’s TLC Heating & Plumbing Invitational, hosted by New Mexico.
• Paul Blanchette’s shutout at Boston College (Sept. 6) was the 15th of his career, breaking the all-time LMU record of 14, held by Jerad Bailey (1997-00).
• Adrien Perez was named to the 2015 All-WCC Preseason Team, but the junior midfielder has been inactive since Sept. 13 due to injury.
• LMU was picked fourth in the 2015 West Coast Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.
• The Lions returned 16 letterwinners and nine total starters from last year’s squad that went 9-4-6 overall.
• The 2014 Lions matched the program record for fewest losses, most unbeaten matches and goals against average.
SERIES HISTORY VS SAN FRANCISCO
Recent match-ups between the Lions and the Dons have gone in favor of LMU. The Lions have won nine of the last 13 meetings, including the last four straight. Three of the last 13 have gone into extra time with the Lions holding a 2-0-1 mark.
ABOUT THE DONS
They will need help, but San Francisco remains in contention to tie for the 2015 WCC title. A 0-0 draw against first-place San Diego last week put the Dons at 4-1-1 with one match to go. The Toreros sit three points ahead at 5-0-1. USF has been led offensively by David Garrett, who has seven goals and one assist for 15 points. Only eight different Dons have scored this season. In goal, Andre Glasnovic has played the majority of season, posting a 6-7-1 record, three shutouts and a 1.69 GAA.
M. Soccer - 10/13/2017
Lions Defeat Bulldogs 2-1 In First Home WCC Match of 2017
M. Soccer - 10/12/2017
WCC Play Continues For Men’s Soccer At Sullivan...
M. Soccer - 10/8/2017
Men's Soccer Stopped In San Diego
M. Soccer - 10/6/2017
Men’s Soccer Begins Conference Play at San Diego on...
M. Soccer - 10/4/2017
Lions Fall to Lobos, 3-0
M. Soccer - 10/3/2017
Men's Soccer Takes On New Mexico Wednesday Night