Vote for Roger Downes for Soccer News Net Player of the Year
Fan voting runs through December 23
Dec. 3, 2010
LOS ANGELES - Junior Roger Downes is one of 38 finalists for the Soccer News Net 2009 College Player of the Year award and fan voting will help decide the winner. Online fan voting accounts for 40% of the vote and can be conducted at Soccer News Net. Voting closes on December 23 and the winner will be announced in January.
Downes (San Clemente, Calif.) earned West Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-WCC honors in 2010 after helping LMU to its first-ever conference title. Downes was the anchor of LMU's defense that finished the regular season with the second-lowest goals-against-average in the WCC and the third-lowest season GAA in program history at 1.07. He started all 20 matches and led the team in minutes played (1798), helping the Lions to post five shutouts, their most since 2004. His defensive leadership secured him a place on the Wildcat Invitational All-Tournament Team and a place on the TopDrawerSoccer.com National Team of the Week for September 27-Oct. 3. He also added his first career goal in the season-opening victory over San Diego State. Downes was an All-WCC Second Team selection in 2008 and Honorable Mention last year and becomes the second LMU player to be named the WCC Defender of the Year, joining Matt Kovar (2004).
About the Soccer News Net Player of the Year Award:
The editors of each of the six sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to six local players for the award, each of which are eligible for the regional player of the year award. The nominations included athletes playing at colleges within each site's coverage area, as well as athletes from the area playing collegiately elsewhere in the country. A dozen additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations.
Fans from across the country can vote for the top collegiate player. Voting continues until December 19, on Big Apple Soccer, ChicagoLand Soccer News, LA Soccer News, New England Soccer News, Philly Soccer News, and Dallas Soccer News. Full lists of all regional and at-large nominees appear with the ballot information.
Online fan voting accounts for 40% of the total toward the award. The remaining 60% of the vote will be cast by the editorial staffs of the six web sites.