The LMU men's tennis team (1-1) came out strong in pursuit of its first victory of the year on Saturday morning, sweeping San Diego State on the road, 5-0, from the Aztec Tennis Center.
"The guys competed well today and each were focused on their court," head coach Tom Lloyd said after the match. "We executed well and brought the juice!"
While LMU dropped the first doubles match on court three, the Lions rallied nicely to earn the victory on court one to force the point to be decided on court two. Charles Boyce and Lukas Moenter handled the work on the top court, dispatching Cevallos/Restifo, 6-2, to set the table for Gabriel Diaz Freire and Nick Borchenko in the rubber match. The Lion duo had little trouble sealing the doubles point, locking up a 6-4 win over Gjoels-Andersen/Mitchell.
Shifting attention to the singles, LMU hit its stride, earning victories on courts five, four, six and one, in that order. Boyce was first to finish, defeating David Hough by way of a convincing 6-0, 6-2 win. Errol Smith followed with a 6-1, 6-4 triumph over Joel Popov, running LMU's match lead to 3-0. Borchenko ensured the Lion team victory on court six, locking up a 6-3, 7-6 (5) victory over Rafael Gonzalez Almazan. Although the match had been decided already, Diaz Freire and Restifo finished their pairing on the top court, with Diaz Freire posting a 6-4, 6-3 win.
LMU will now travel to Las Vegas to duel UNLV and New Mexico State on February 2.
LMU 5, San Diego State 0
Jan 27, 2018 at San Diego, Calif. (Aztec Tennis Center)
1. Gabriel Diaz Freire (LMU) def. Restifo, Arnaud (SDSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Cevallos, Santiago (SDSU) vs. Lucas Moreno (LMU) 3-6, 6-3, unfinished
3. Gjoels-Andersen, S. (SDSU) vs. Lukas Moenter (LMU) 6-7 (6-8), 3-0, unfinished
4. Errol Smith (LMU) def. Popov, Joel (SDSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Charles Boyce (LMU) def. Hough, David (SDSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Nick Borchenko (LMU) def. Gonzalez Almazan, R. (SDSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Charles Boyce/Lukas Moenter (LMU) def. Cevallos, Santiago/Restifo, Arnaud (SDSU) 6-2
2. Gabriel Diaz Freire/Nick Borchenko (LMU) def. Gjoels-Andersen, S./Mitchell, Nicholas (SDSU) 6-4
3. de la Torre, Raul/Gonzalez Almazan, R. (SDSU) def. Diego Nava/Errol Smith (LMU) 6-2
San Diego State 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,6,1)
M. Tennis - 5/24/2018
Men’s Tennis Finishes Season Ranked #55
M. Tennis - 5/21/2018
Lloyd, Boyce Honored with ITA Year-End Awards
M. Tennis - 5/8/2018
Bandimere, Elmes Earn Top Honors At 2018 Iggy Awards
M. Tennis - 5/5/2018
LMU Celebrates Commencement 2018
M. Tennis - 5/2/2018
Boyce Garners Academic All-Conference Recognition
M. Tennis - 5/1/2018
This Week In LMU Athletics