Lions Fall to No. 2 USC, 6-1
LMU gets a singles victory versus the nation's second ranked team.
Feb. 3, 2013
LOS ANGELES -- LMU men's tennis fell to No. 2 USC Sunday, 6-1. The Lions (0-4) got a victory in singles but fell in the other five singles matches and in doubles. The Trojans (7-0) beat the Lions in the second half of a WCC doubleheader on the day after beating San Francisco by the same score earlier.
Senior Nicholas Bjerke and junior Sebastian Bustamante fell to Hanfmann and Sarimento, 8-2. De Vroome and Quiroz defeated freshman Cristobal Rivera and junior Daniel Simko, 8-1, for the doubles point. The third match went unfinished between sophomore Todd Volmari and redshirt-senior Jack Zapala and USC's Johnson and Gomez.
In singles, senior Nick Northcott defeated Michael Tang 6-1, 6-3 for the Lions' only point of the day. No. 10 Sarmiento beat Bjerke 6-3, 6-1. Freshman Othar Kordsachia lost to No. 64 Hanfmann 6-2, 6-2. Van Kann fell to No. 68 de Vroome 6-2, 6-3. No. 121 Wang defeated Volmari 6-1, 6-1. Rivera lost to Grant 6-2, 6-1.
The Lions' five-match road trip continues with a trip to UC Santa Barbara on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 12:00 p.m.
- GO LIONS -
1. #10 Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
2. #64 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. Othar Kordsachia (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #68 Max de Vroome (USC) def. Felix Van Kann (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
4. #121 Jonny Wang (USC) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Michael Grant (USC) def. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Nick Northcott (LMU) def. Michael Tang (USC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Yannick Hanfmann/Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. Nicholas Bjerke/Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 8-2
2. Max de Vroome/Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Cristobal Rivera/Daniel Simko (LMU) 8-1
3. Eric Johnson/Emilio Gomez (USC) vs. Todd Volmari/Jack Zapala (LMU) 4-3, unfinished
M. Tennis - 5/21/2018
Lloyd, Boyce Honored with ITA Year-End Awards
M. Tennis - 5/8/2018
Bandimere, Elmes Earn Top Honors At 2018 Iggy Awards
M. Tennis - 5/5/2018
LMU Celebrates Commencement 2018
M. Tennis - 5/2/2018
Boyce Garners Academic All-Conference Recognition
M. Tennis - 5/1/2018
This Week In LMU Athletics
M. Tennis - 4/28/2018
#41 San Diego Tops LMU For WCC Crown