Feb. 5, 2006
San Diego, Calif. - In just his second match back from injury, junior standout Nico Terrien picked up a singles win over San Francisco at the No. 2 spot to lead LMU (1-3, 0-1 WCC) Saturday at the WCC Challenge. Terrien's comeback win wasn't enough however, as the Dons (2-3, 1-0 WCC) won the first West Coast Conference match-up of the season 5-2.
Terrien topped USF's Falko Hettenberger in singles, after he and Mike Chan had defeated Hogan/Del Rosario 8-4 in doubles.
Chan went on to a singles win of his own, defeating Rafael Corazza at the No. 6 spot.
The Lions remain in San Diego for day two of the WCC Challenge, facing the host 37th-ranked Toreros Sunday.
USF 5, LMU 2
1. Berry/Kramer (USF) def. Wojnaroicz/Phillips (LMU) 9-7
2. Huettenberger/Rodriguez (USF) def. Malet/Cicenas (LMU) 8-4
3. Terrian/Chan (LMU) def. Hogan/Del Rosario (USF) 8-4
USF wins doubles point
1. Matthew Berry (USF) def. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Falko Huettenberger (USF) 3-6, 2-3
3. Korbinian Kramer (USF) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Fernando Rodriguez (USF) def. Matt Phillips (LMU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
5. Thong Tu (USF) def. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) 7-6, 6-2
6. Michael Chan (LMU) def. Rafael Corazza (USF) 6-7, 2-5