Feb. 9, 2013
Like LMU Men's Tennis on Facebook |
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- LMU men's tennis had a difficult day against the 70th-ranked Gauchos of UC Santa Barbara, falling 6-1. The Lions (0-5) won at #1 doubles and #2 singles, but lost the remaining contests to UCSB (2-1) to remain winless on the young season.
Senior Nicholas Bjerke and junior Sebastian Bustamante defeated Ndimande and Sultan, 8-4, in the second doubles match to close. No. 8 Bouillin and Gryaznov defeated redshirt-senior Jack Zapala and junior Daniel Simko, 8-6, to open the doubles round. The final contest came down to Recknagel and Seemann and LMU's Todd Volmari and Nick Northcott. The battle came down to the wire with the UCSB duo winning 8-7 giving the Gauchos the point.
Sophomore Othar Kordsachia won the single point for the Lions with a victory over Boullin 6-3, 6-4. In #1 singles, No. 17 Recknagel defeat Bjerke 7-6, 6-3. Volmari lost to Ndimande 6-2, 6-0. On court four, Northcott was beaten by Sultan 6-2, 6-1. Johnson defeated Bustamante 6-3, 0-6, 12-10 in a third set tiebreaker after the match was decided. On the sixth court, Simko fell to Gryaznov 6-3, 6-1.
The Lions' stretch of seven matches away from the LMU Tennis Center continues Sunday, Feb. 10 at Cal Poly at 12:00 p.m.
- GO LIONS -
1. Bjerke/Bustamante (LMU) def. Ndimande/Sultan (UCSB) 8-4
2. Bouillin/Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Zapala/Simko (LMU) 8-6
3. Recknagel/Seemann (UCSB) def. Volmari/Northcott (LMU) 8-7
1. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Othar Kordsachia (LMU) def. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
3. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Nick Northcott (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jacob Johnson (UCSB) def. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 6-3, 0-6, (12-10)
6. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (4, 6, 3, 2, 1, 5)