Playing on the road against host Arizona State from the inaugural ASU Invitational, LMU men's tennis (3-2) dropped a 4-2 decision to the Sun Devils (1-3) on Friday morning.
The Lions captured the doubles point by way of victories on courts two and three, but ASU's strong singles play eventually sunk the Lions. Nick Borchenko and Gabriel Diaz Freire won again in pairs, defeating Tim Ruehl/Benjamin Hannestad, 6-4, at the second spot in the order. While court one was knotted at 6-6, the Lions outlasted ASU on court three, 7-6 (5) to capture the doubles point. Diego Nava and Errol Smith teamed at that spot to defeat Thomas Wright/Andrea Bolla.
Borchenko/Diaz Freire are now 6-2 overall this year, and have won four straight.
The top three ASU singles players all feature ITA rankings, with #70 Michael Geerts posting a victory over Diaz Freire, 6-2, 6-2, at the top of the order. Makey Rakotomalala, ranked 90th according to ITA, posted a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory over Lucas Moreno, but LMU's Lukas Moenter took #38 Hannestad to a third set and led 6-5 in the stanza before the overall match was decided elsewhere and the matchup officially went unfinished.
LMU's lone singles victory came from Borchenko at #6 in the order, as the redshirt sophomore posted a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 win over William Kirkman.
The Lions will continue play in Arizona on Saturday, playing a neutral match against Fresno State at 10 a.m.
Arizona State 4, LMU 2
Feb 09, 2018 at Tempe, Ariz. (Whiteman Tennis Center)
1. #70 Michael Geerts (ASU) def. Gabriel Diaz Freire (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #90 M. Rakotomalala (ASU) def. Lucas Moreno (LMU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. #38 Benjamin Hannestad (ASU) vs. Lukas Moenter (LMU) 2-6, 6-2, 5-6, unfinished
4. Tim Ruehl (ASU) def. Errol Smith (LMU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Andrea Bolla (ASU) def. Charles Boyce (LMU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Nick Borchenko (LMU) def. William Kirkman (ASU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
1. Michael Geerts/M. Rakotomalala (ASU) vs. Charles Boyce/Lukas Moenter (LMU) 6-6, unfinished
2. Nick Borchenko/Gabriel Diaz Freire (LMU) def. Tim Ruehl/Benjamin Hannestad (ASU) 6-4
3. Diego Nava/Errol Smith (LMU) def. Thomas Wright/Andrea Bolla (ASU) 7-6 (7-5)
Arizona State 1-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,5,4,6,2)
M. Tennis - 3/16/2018
#43 LMU Sweeps Past UTSA
M. Tennis - 3/14/2018
Athletics Director William Husak Announces July Retirement
M. Tennis - 3/13/2018
#43 LMU Looks To Defend The Bluff
M. Tennis - 3/8/2018
Saturday Match vs. UC Santa Barbara Moved to April 10
M. Tennis - 3/7/2018
#36 LMU Tops UC Irvine, 4-1
M. Tennis - 3/6/2018
Men's Tennis Climbs to #36; Two Big West Matches on Tap