Feb. 10, 2013
Like LMU Men's Tennis on Facebook |
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- Back-to-back ranked matches on the road is difficult for any team and despite a slow start to the 2013 season, LMU men's tennis displayed good effort without No. 1 player senior Nicholas Bjerke, but were unable to get a victory. The Lions concluded a two-day trip north on Sunday with a defeat at No. 58 Cal Poly, 5-2 in a dual match. LMU (0-6) rallied to win the doubles point after losing the first match, but the Mustangs (5-2) won all but one singles match to clinch the contest.
Doubles play first concluded on court one where redshirt-senior Jack Zapala and junior Daniel Simko, fell to Dome and Bridge, 8-3. The Lions roared back with a win in #2 doubles from junior Sebastian Bustamante and sophomore Todd Volmari over Thomson and Daynes, 8-5. The LMU comeback was complete with a win on court three by sophomore Othar Kordsachia and senior Nick Northcott against Cal Poly's Comuzzo and Beasley, 8-7.
In singles, the Lions faced many difficulties without Bjerke. Zapala lost to Beasley 6-1, 6-0. No. 89 Dome beat Kordsachia 6-3, 6-2 on court one. Simko was beaten by De Jager 6-3, 6-4. In #2 singles, Volmari lost to Comuzzo 6-3, 6-4 giving the Mustangs the match.
Northcott fell to Bridge, 6-2, 6-2. Bustamante got the only win for LMU in #4 singles 6-3, 2-6, 10-2, over Klein.
The Lions take a 12-day break before their next match on Friday, Feb. 22 at 1:30 p.m. at UC Irvine.
- GO LIONS -
1. #89 Andre Dome (CP) def. Othar Kordsachia (LMU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Nick Northcott (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Derek Klein (CP) 6-3, 2-6, 10-2
5. Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Jack Zapala (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Andre Dome/Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Jack Zapala/Daniel Simko (LMU) 8-3
2. Sebastian Bustamante/Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Matt Thomson/Gannon Daynes (CP) 8-5
3. Othar Kordsachia/Nick Northcott (LMU) def. Marco Comuzzo/Naveen Beasley (CP) 8-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,5,2,3,4)