Feb. 22, 2013
Like LMU Men's Tennis on Facebook |
IRVINE, Calf. -- The LMU men’s tennis team has had its share of struggles this season. The Lions (0-7) put in a game effort but fell to the 75th-ranked Anteaters, 4-3. After securing the doubles point, the Lions lost four of six singles matches to UC Irvine (2-7).
The doubles round began with two victories by the Lions. Junior Sebastian Bustamante and freshman Cristobal Rivera closed out their match with UC Irvine’s Hammel and Shibahara, 8-1. The point was decided with sophomore Othar Kordsachia and senior Nick Northcott defeating Pham and Poon 8-4. In the final contest on court one, Cheung and Jung beat junior Daniel Simko and sophomore Todd Volmari 9-7 in a close match.
The Anteaters tied the match in singles at court one as Cheung defeated Kordsachia 6-3, 6-1. Poon defeated Simko 6-3, 6-4 to put UC Irvine up a point. Rivera got a victory over Hammel 6-4, 6-3 to tie the match at two points apiece.
Pham put the Anteaters on the cusp of victory with a win over Volmari 2-6, 6-3, 6-2. Nineteenth-ranked Jung wrapped up the match with a 6-1, 6-7, 6-0 win over Northcott. In the final contest, Bustamante defeated Agbayani 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-3.
LMU will look for its first victory of the season next Thursday, Feb. 28 against Toledo in a match that will be held in San Diego, Calif. at 10:00 a.m.
- GO LIONS –
1. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Othar Kordsachia (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) 6-4, 6-3
4. Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Nick Northcott (LMU) 6-1, 6-7, 6-0
5. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Justin Agbayani (UCI) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-3
6. Jonathan Poon (UCI) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Ryan Cheung/Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Todd Volmari/Daniel Simko (LMU) 9-7
2. Sebastian Bustamante/Cristobal Rivera (LMU) def. Jonathan Hammel/Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) 8-1
3. Othar Kordsachia/Nick Northcott (LMU) def. Tyler Pham/Jonathan Poon (UCI) 8-4