Sporting the best ranking in program history on Friday afternoon, the #42 LMU men's tennis team (5-2) posted a 5-2 victory over #44 Cal Poly (6-4) from the LMU Tennis Center.
"Cal Poly is a very well coached team and are loaded with talented fighters," head coach Tom Lloyd said. "The guys battled the elements and themselves at times today, but I am proud of them for believing and sticking together."
The Lions had to battle from behind in the doubles play, dropping a decision at the top of the order before rallying to win on courts two and three. DIego Nava/Errol Smith defeated Bechard/Enander, 6-4, on court three before Charles Boyce/Lukas Moenter took down Whitehouse/Shenkiryk, 7-5 on court two to capture the point.
The score was back even before a serve was made in singles, as Moenter retired due to injury to hand Cal Poly a point at #2 singles.
LMU utilized straight-set victories on courts five and four to reclaim a 3-1 lead in the match score, as Nick Borchenko cruised past Alexander Stater, 6-3, 6-0, and Boyce dispatched Axel Damiens, 7-5, 6-4 at #4 singles.
Playing at #3 singles, Smith outlasted Antoine Noel, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, to hand LMU another point in the overall match score.
The final two courts featured more hard-fought play on both sides, with Gabriel Diaz Freire suffering a 7-6 (5), 7-6 (6) setback at the hands of Josh Ortlip at the top of the lineup. Although the match was already decided, Nava finished off the strong day with a 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-3 win on court six.
The Lions will return to action on Sunday, welcoming Nevada to campus at Noon.
#42 LMU 5, #44 Cal Poly 2
Feb 23, 2018 at Los Angeles, Calif. (LMU Tennis Center)
1. Josh Ortlip (CP) def. Gabriel Diaz Freire (LMU) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (8-6)
2. Dominic Bechard (CP) def. Lukas Moenter (LMU) 0-0, retired
3. Errol Smith (LMU) def. Antoine Noel (CP) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Charles Boyce (LMU) def. Axel Damiens (CP) 7-5, 6-4
5. Nick Borchenko (LMU) def. Alexander Stater (CP) 6-3, 6-0
6. Diego Nava (LMU) def. Andrew Whitehouse (CP) 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3
1. Josh Ortlip/Axel Damiens (CP) def. Nick Borchenko/Gabriel Diaz Freire (LMU) 6-4
2. Charles Boyce/Lukas Moenter (LMU) def. Andrew Whitehouse/Roman Shenkiryk (CP) 7-5
3. Diego Nava/Errol Smith (LMU) def. Dominic Bechard/Karl Enander (CP) 6-4
Cal Poly 6-4; National ranking #44
LMU 5-2; National ranking #42
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,5,4,3,1,6)
M. Tennis - 6/12/2018
Lions Tabbed #6 Team in Southwest Region, Two Players in ...
M. Tennis - 5/31/2018
LMU Names Oregon’s Craig Pintens as New Athletic...
M. Tennis - 5/28/2018
This Week in LMU Athletics
M. Tennis - 5/24/2018
Men’s Tennis Finishes Season Ranked #55
M. Tennis - 5/21/2018
Lloyd, Boyce Honored with ITA Year-End Awards
M. Tennis - 5/8/2018
Bandimere, Elmes Earn Top Honors At 2018 Iggy Awards