Lions Top Highlanders
LMU beats UC Riverside 5-2 for its third consecutive victory.
Feb. 24, 2012
LOS ANGELES - The LMU men's tennis team continued to build off of the momentum of a two-match sweep of the Bay Area nearly two weeks ago by defeating UC Riverside, 5-2 at the LMU Tennis Center on Friday. LMU won 4 of 6 singles matches after sweeping the Highlanders in doubles.
The Lions earned the double point with a sweep over the Highlanders. Bjerke and Kiyabu started play with an 8-2 win over Gasato and Peters in their first doubles pairing. Zapala and Van Kann earned LMU the point by defeating Griffin and Roberts, 8-3, in Zapala's first match of the season. Volmari and Simko wrapped up the sweep on court one with an 8-5 victory over Andres and Macherez.
In singles play, LMU rolled to a quick victory. Nick Northcott gained a point for his team with a, 6-0, 6-0 win over Kevin Griffin, for his first singles win of the season. Sebastian Bustamante defeated Luis Gastao, 6-0, 6-1 on court four. Tom Price beat Simon Peters, 6-0, 6-1, and Jimmy Roberts fell to Nicholas Bjerke, 6-1, 6-1, as the Lions clinched the match only losing four games in the first four singles matches.
LMU rides its three-match winning streak into La Jolla, Calif. with a match against Rice University at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club next Thursday, March 1 followed by its entry in the Pacific Coast Men's Doubles Championships from March 1-4.
1. Felix Macherez (UCR) def. Alex Wilton (LMU) 7-5, 7-5
2. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) def. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
3. Austin Andres (UCR) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 6-0, 6-1
5. Tom Price (LMU) def. Simon Peters (UCR) 6-0, 6-1
6. Nick Northcott (LMU) def. Kevin Griffin (UCR) 6-0, 6-0
1. Todd Volmari/Daniel Simko (LMU) def. Austin Andres/Felix Macherez (UCR) 8-5
2. Jack Zapala/Felix van Kann (LMU) def. Kevin Griffin/Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 8-3
3. Nicholas Bjerke/Robin Kiyabu (LMU) def. Luis Gastao/Simon Peters (UCR) 8-2