March 1, 2004
Stockton, Calif. - Loyola Marymount men's tennis concluded a weekend road swing, dropping match-ups at Santa Clara (5-2) and Pacific (6-1). Sophomore Michael Wojnarowicz highlighted the Lions' play this weekend, defeating Santa Clara in singles and teaming with freshman Matt Phillips for the doubles win over Pacific.
Wojnarowicz rebounded from recent struggles to defeat Francisco Zepponi of Santa Clara 6-3, 6-3 on Saturday. He then dropped a heartbreaker to Pacific's Vladimir Zdrackovic 6-3, 6-7, 10-7 on Sunday. Playing with Phillips at the No. 2 spot in doubles, the two defeated Otte and Zdravkovic of Pacific 8-5.
Nico Terrien and Ashton Politanoff teamed for the No. 3 doubles match-up, and defeated Pacific's Kelly and Black 8-6 to secure the doubles point for the Lions on Sunday against the Tigers. The freshmen also posted an impressive doubles win on Saturday, defeating Santa Clara's Zepponi and Bobby Rasmussen 8-2. The duo is now 5-0 as a doubles team.
LMU was just two points away from clinching the doubles victory at Santa Clara as well, before Wojnarowicz and Phillips fell 9-8 at the No. 2 spot.
Terrien, playing at the No. 2 spot on Saturday, defeated Santa Clara's Taylor Bedilion 7-5, 6-4. The freshman's record now moves to 5-2 in singles match-ups.
"We played well in certain areas, but overall as a team, we didn't compete at a high enough level," Head Coach Nik DeVore said. "We are in the heart of our season now where we will be playing a lot more matches, so I am hoping to see some steady improvement as our young team gains experience on the court."
The Lions will host UC San Diego in a make-up match Wednesday, March 3, at 1:30 p.m. at the Home Depot Center.
AT SANTA CLARA
- Saturday, February 28, 2004
1. Fischer/Chen (SCU) def. Cicenas/Berglund (LMU) 8-6
2. Bedilion/Kochanski (SCU) def. Wojnarowicz/Phillips (LMU) 9-5 (5)
3. Terrien/Ashton Politanoff (LMU) def. Zepponi/Rasmussen (SCU) 8-2
1. Gernot Fischer (SCU) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Beau Berglund (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Michael Wojnarowicz (LMU) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Matt Phillips (LMU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Carlos Malet (LMU) 6-2, 6-0
AT PACIFIC - Sunday, February 29, 2004
1. Maack/Sigurdsson (Pac) def. Cicenas/Berglund (LMU) 8-2
2. Wojnarowicz/Phillips (LMU) def. Otte/Zdravkovic (Pac) 8-5
3. Terrien/Ashtonn Politanoff (LMU) def. Kelly/Black (Pac) 8-6
1. Lennart Maack (Pac) def. Nico Terrien (LMU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Arnar Sigurdsson (Pac) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Niclas Otte (Pac) def. Beau Berglund (LMU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Bladlmir Zdravkovic (Pac) def. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) 6-3, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (6)
5. ALan Kelly (Pac) def. Matt Phillips(LMU) 6-2, 7-6 (2)
6. Tyler Black (Pac) def. Carlos Malet (LMU) 7-5, 6-2