Playing a neutral match against UC Irvine on Wednesday morning, #36 LMU (8-2) defeated the Anteaters (3-7) by a score of 4-1. The victory extended LMU's win streak to five straight matches.
The Lions won both courts to finish in doubles, with Nick Borchenko / Gabriel Diaz Freire defeating Luca Marquard/Mason Hansen, 6-1. Charles Boyce / Lucas Moreno followed with a 6-3 win over Luis Lopez/Daniel Gealer to seal the point.
LMU dropped just one singles match on Wednesday, as Moreno got things started with a win over Marquard, 6-1, 6-4, at #2 in the order. After UCI earned a decision on court six, Borchenko emerged victorious by way of a 7-6 (4), 6-4 score over Gealer on court five.
Needing just one more victory to earn the team win, Boyce answered the call, topping Hansen, 6-4, 7-5, at #4 singles.
In addition to extending the team win streak to five, LMU also saw Borchenko record his eighth consecutive triumph, while Boyce extended his streak to four.
LMU will now shift its attention to UC Santa Barbara, as the Lions will host the Gauchos at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
UC Irvine vs LMU (Mar 07, 2018)
#36 LMU 4, UC Irvine 1
Mar 07, 2018 at Newport Beach, Calif. (Newport Beach Tennis Club)
1. Gabriel Diaz Freire (LMU) vs. Luis Lopez (UCI) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
2. Lucas Moreno (LMU) def. Luca Marquard (UCI) 6-1, 6-4
3. Errol Smith (LMU) vs. Sasha Krasnov (UCI) 6-1, 6-7 (4-7), 1-1, unfinished
4. Charles Boyce (LMU) def. Mason Hansen (UCI) 6-4, 7-5
5. Nick Borchenko (LMU) def. Daniel Gealer (UCI) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
6. Vatsal Bajpai (UCI) def. Diego Nava (LMU) 6-2, 7-5
1. Nick Borchenko/Gabriel Diaz Freire (LMU) def. Luca Marquard/Mason Hansen (UCI) 6-1
2. Charles Boyce/Lucas Moreno (LMU) def. Luis Lopez/Daniel Gealer (UCI) 6-3
3. Errol Smith/Diego Nava (LMU) vs. Vatsal Bajpai/Bruce Man-Son-Hing (UCI) 4-5, unfinished
UC Irvine 3-7
LMU 8-2; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,6,5,4)
M. Tennis - 3/18/2018
#43 LMU Defeats USF at BNP Paribas Open Collegiate Tennis...
M. Tennis - 3/16/2018
#43 LMU Sweeps Past UTSA
M. Tennis - 3/14/2018
Athletics Director William Husak Announces July Retirement
M. Tennis - 3/13/2018
#43 LMU Looks To Defend The Bluff
M. Tennis - 3/8/2018
Saturday Match vs. UC Santa Barbara Moved to April 10
M. Tennis - 3/7/2018
#36 LMU Tops UC Irvine, 4-1