March 7, 2006
Los Angeles, Calif. - Loyola Marymount topped Georgia State 4-3 Tuesday at the LMU Tennis Center. The Lions earned the doubles point win on Monday, and continued singles play today after rain halted the match after doubles yesterday.
The Lions took a 1-0 lead Monday after taking the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Nico Terrien and Mike Chan teamed up for an 8-1 win at No. 3, while Linas Cicenas and Mike Wojnarowicz played a solid match against a tough GSU team at the top spot to win 8-3
"It's the most confident I have seen both of those doubles teams all year," Head Coach Nik DeVore said.
In Tuesday's singles action, Terrien quickly put the Lions up 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Martin Stiegwardt at No. 1.
Georgia State bounced back with a singles win at No. 4, but the Lions put the Panthers away with tough three-set wins from seniors Chan (No. 5) and Carlos Malet (No. 6). Their wins made it a 4-1 advantage to secure the LMU win.
Wojnarowicz put up a fight at the No. 2 spot, coming from a set down and a break in the second set to even the match. But the Lions' senior ended up going down in a highly-contested third set 6-4.
Junior Reyniere Roxas was last off the courts, putting up a strong fight but eventually falling 11-9 in the third set tiebreaker.
The Lions improve to 3-6 on the season with the win over the Panthers. Georgia State was coming off a 5-2 win over nationally-ranked UC Santa Barbara.
"This was a big win for our team," DeVore said. "We had been struggling, so this should give our confidence a real boost. Georgia State is a tough team. This is certainly the best that we have competed as a team all season. If we had competed like this early in the year, our record would be much better at this point. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come."
The Lions host 66th-ranked Yale tomorrow, Wednesday, March 8, and the LMU Tennis Center.
LMU 4, Georgia State 3
Doubles (played Monday)
1. Wojnarowicz/Cicenas (LMU) def. Boyd/Cevka (GSU) 8-3
2. Twarowski/Podkrajsek (GSU) def. Malet/Phillips (LMU) 8-3
3. Chan/Terrien (LMU) def. Sulin/Balog (GSU) 8-1
Singles (played Tuesday)
1. Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Martin Stiegwardt (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Nejc Podkrajsek (GSU) def. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
3. Clarence Boyd (GSU) def. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) 6-3, 6-7, 11-9
4. Anze Cevka (GSU) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Mike Chan (LMU) def. Jacek Twarowski (GSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Carlos Malet (LMU) def. Eduardo Gutierrez (GSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2