LMU Falls at No. 66 San Diego
The LMU men's tennis team just wrapped up a difficult week of three consecutive matches with ranked opponents.
March 9, 2014
San Diego, Calif. -- The LMU men's tennis team just wrapped up a difficult week of three consecutive matches with ranked opponents. The latest came Saturday afternoon when the Lions fell 5-2 to the No. 66 Toreros in their second conference match of the year, dropping to 4-5 overall and 0-2 in WCC play.
In doubles play, the Lions fell quickly on Court 3, but kept the other two matches close. After a big doubles win over No. 2 Virginia on Friday, LMU's Sebastian Bustamante and Todd Volmari had their hands full again when they faced the 30th ranked doubles team in the nation. The Torero pair of Clarke Spinosa and Filip Vittek barely edged out the Lions on Court 1 8-6. On Court 2, David Doehring and Daniel Simko fell 8-4 to the Torero pair of Uros Petronijevic and Romain Kalaydjian.
In singles play, the Toreros won the first three matches to finish, which clinched the team win with four points. However, the Lions played very well on the last three courts to finish. On Court 4, Bustamante won 6-4, 6-2, making it two matches in a row where Bustamante would win in singles over a ranked team. Bustamante was responsible for the lone Lion point against No. 2 Virginia on Friday. On Court 2, Volmari got a hard-fought win over Uros Petronijevic when he came from a set down to win 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (5). On Court 1, LMU's David Doehring also found himself going to the third set tiebreaker but would fall 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (7) to No. 61 singles player Clarke Spinosa.
The Lions' next match will be at home on Thursday, March 13 when they face Richmond at 11:00a.m.
1. #30 Clarke Spinosa/Filip Vittek (USD) def. Sebastian Bustamante/Todd Volmari (LMU) 8-6
2. Uros Petronijevic/Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. David Doehring/Daniel Simko (LMU) 8-4
3. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Aaron Addison (USD) def. Luke Bohuslav/Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 8-1
1. #61 Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. David Doehring (LMU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0(7)
2. Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Uros Petronijevic (USD) 4-6, 7-6(0), 1-0(5)
3. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 6-4, 6-1
4. SebastianBustamante (LMU) def. Filip Vittek (USD) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Othar Kordsachia (LMU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Geoffrey Fosso(USD) def. Luke Bohuslav (LMU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (5, 6, 3, 4, 1, 5)