March 13, 2011
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The LMU men's team defeated Marist University 4-3 this afternoon for their second straight win at home this weekend. After dropping the doubles point, the Lions came back in singles to earn four wins over Marist to earn the overall win on the day. The Lions are 2-0 on the weekend after a win over Gonzaga yesterday afternoon and are 7-6 this season.
In doubles the Lions were led by a win from Aris Andreasian and Tyler Gottshall. For only the second time this season, the duo played together and earned another win to make them 2-0 together this season with back-to-back wins this weekend. The duo defeated Pisecky/Greene 8-4 on court three for the Lion's only doubles win today. On the other two doubles courts, the Lions were unable to get another win to secure the doubles point and Marist University took the early lead 1-0.
In singles play, the Lions were able to come back and earn wins on four courts to get the overall win 4-3. On court one, Aris Andreasian defeated Van Eck of Marist 1-6, 6-3, 6-3. After dropping the first set, Andreasian came back for a crucial win in the next two sets to earn the Lions a point. Nicholas Bjerke continued his strong play at the Lion's number two singles spot with a win over Rossi of Marist. Bjerke defeated Rossi 7-5, 6-2 and is now 8-4 overall in singles play and 2-0 over the weekend. On court four, Alex Wilton also earned a win for the Lions over Himmelsbach 6-4, 6-2. Wilton is now 7-6 overall this season and has two straight wins from this weekend. Finally Tom Price earned his fourth straight win defeating Reznek of Marist 6-3, 6-0 on court six. Price is now 7-5 in singles play this season.
Head Coach Brad Sceney “At the end of the day you will always take a win, however we have some work to do, especially with our doubles. The guys that are playing are very skilled and talented, but we are relying way too much on our opposition to fail, as opposed to applying the correct strategies 100% of the time that will allow us to control the result. We are making tactical mistakes in our doubles and it is costing us each time. We will work on it through the week, but it just comes down to concentration on the court in the moment. It is what has prevented us from snatching some of those close losses earlier in the season. The match is played out over 3-4 hours, not 10 minutes every half hour that we feel like it. If we want to compete and beat Top 50 teams in the country that is where we need to make the improvements."
Next up the Lions will face Layafatte College at home on March 16th at 1:30 pm.
LMU 4 - Marist 3
1. Aris Andreasian, Loyola Marymount University def. Joris Van Eck, Marist College 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Nicholas Bjerke, Loyola Marymount University def. Lorenzo Rossi, Marist College 7-5, 6-2
3. Nicolas Pisecky, Marist College def. Sebastian Bustamante, Loyola Marymount University 2-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. Alex Wilton, Loyola Marymount University def. Matt Himmelsbach, Marist College 6-4, 6-2
5. Landon Greene, Marist College def. Daniel Simko, Loyola Marymount University 6-3, 6-4
6. Tom Price, Loyola Marymount University def. Will Reznek, Marist College 6-3, 6-0
1. Lorenzo Rossi/Will Reznek, Marist College def. Nicholas Bjerke/Daniel Simko, Loyola Marymount University 8-6
2. Joris Van Eck/Matt Himmelsbach, Marist College def. Alex Wilton/Sebastian Bustamante, Loyola Marymount University 8-6
3. Aris Andreasian/Tyler Gottshall, Loyola Marymount University def. Nicolas Pisecky/Landon Greene, Marist College 8-4