Lions Lose At No. 5 Bruins, 7-0
LMU drops the match to the fifth-ranked Bruins who win in a sweep.
March 27, 2012
LOS ANGELES -- The Lions (7-8) began a stretch of four straight matches within the city limits by facing stiff competition at fifth-ranked UCLA (14-2). The Bruins proved to be too much for LMU, winning 7-0.
The loss was the Lions' third straight defeat. After the match head coach Brad Sceney said, "it's been a tough couple of matches, we haven't played well of late and its tough playing UCLA when you trying to find some confidence." Sceney added, "but the guys are a resilient group and they are very keen to get to this weekend in conference play."
Doubles started with a win by the Bruins' team of Marcus Giron and Adrien Puget at #2 doubles, 8-1, over Daniel Simko and Todd Volmari. UCLA won the point at #1 doubles as Nicholas Bjerke and Sebastian Bustamante fell to Alex Brigham and Nick Meister, 8-4. On court three, Felix Van Kann and Alex Wilton battled Dennis Novikov and Clay Thompson, but lost the match, 8-7.
In singles, Alex Wilton fell to No. 59 Clay Thompson in #1 singles, 6-0, 6-0. Maxime Tabatruong beat Daniel Simko by the same score. Felix Van Kann lost to Dennis Mkrtchian, 6-2, 6-0 on court six. 51st-ranked Adrien Puget defeated Todd Volmari, 6-1, 6-2. At #2 singles, Nicholas Bjerke fell to Dennis Novikov, 6-3, 6-3. In the final contest, No. 115 Marcus Giron beat Sebastian Bustamante, 6-1, 6-3.
Despite the setback, Sceney mentioned, "every season will have its highs and lows, its just how you respond when given a situation. We will have two days of good practice and be ready for our match on Friday."
LMU returns to conference play this Friday, Mar. 30 hosting San Francisco. The battle with the Dons begins at 1:30 p.m. at the LMU Tennis Center.
1. Alex Brigham/Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Bjerke/Bustamante (LMU) 8-4
2. Giron/Puget (UCLA) def. Simko/Volmari (LMU) 8-1
3. Novikov/Thompson (UCLA) def. Van Kann/Wilton (LMU) 8-7(5)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #59 Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Alex Wilton (LMU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) 6-3, 6-3
3. #115 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 6-1, 6-3
4. #51 Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Felix Van Kann (LMU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,6,5,4,2,3)