Comeback Falls Short As Lions Lose to UC Irvine, 4-3
Men's tennis had a chance to make a comeback on the final two courts, but only got one win.
April 5, 2012
LOS ANGELES -- The Lions faced the prospect of winning a match while they were not playing at their greatest form and missing two of their top players, but the team was unable to win the last two points of the match as LMU fell to UC Irvine, 4-3. The Lions (8-10) were down 3-2 with a chance at victory late in the match, but the comeback effort fell short against the Anteaters (3-15).
The Lions started the match by gaining the doubles point. Alex Wilton and Felix Van Kann were the first to close their match, beating Jacob Jung and Sam Gould in #1 doubles, 8-5. Daniel Simko and Todd Volmari won the point for LMU with an 8-3 victory over Eric Gast and Mika DeCoster. In the final doubles contest, Tom Price and Nick Northcott fell to Shuhei Shibahara, 8-6, on court three.
The Anteaters started the singles round with a win in #1 singles as Fabian Matthews defeated Alex Wilton, 6-1, 6-4. Soon after, Felix Van Kann fell to Jacob Jung, 6-2, 6-1 on court three. LMU got back into the match as Daniel Simko got a victory at court six defeating Eric Gast, 6-2, 6-2. Todd Volmari lost to Sam Gould in #2 singles, 6-3, 6-4, putting UC Irvine on the cusp of a victory.
The match came down to courts four and five. Nick Northcott battled back in his match with Mika DeCoster after losing the first set, 6-4, and took DeCoster to a second set tiebreak. The comeback effort fell short as Northcott lost the tiebreak 7-2 and the Anteaters won the match. In the final singles contest, Tom Price came back from a set down to win his match over Shuhei Shibahara, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The Lions have Easter weekend off and will travel up the California coast next Wednesday, Apr. 11 to face UC Santa Barbara at 1:30 p.m.
1. Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Alex Wilton (LMU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Sam Gould (UCI) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Felix Van Kann (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Mika DeCoster (UCI) def. Nick Northcott (LMU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Tom Price (LMU) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Daniel Simko (LMU) def. Eric Gast (UCI) 6-2, 6-2
1. Alex Wilton/Felix van Kann (LMU) def. Jacob Jung/Sam Gould (UCI) 8-5
2. Daniel Simko/Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Eric Gast/Mika DeCoster (UCI) 8-3
3. Shuhei Shibahara/Fabian Matthews (UCI) def. Tom Price/Nick Northcott (LMU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,6,2,4,5)