April 6, 2010
Los Angeles - LMU snapped a two-match losing streak with a dominating 6-1 victory over visiting UC Riverside on Tuesday at the LMU Tennis Center. The Lions (8-10) swept the doubles matches and got straight-set wins at five of the six singles positions, with Ivan Lopez, Borja Malet, and Johan Berhof each picking up two wins on the day.
Lopez led the way at #1 doubles and #1 singles, recording the match-clinching points at each spot. After Malet and partner Nick Von Der Ahe got the day rolling by taking the #2 doubles match 8-5 over Michael Conroy and Austin Andres, Lopez and his partner, Otto Sauer, secured the day's first point with an 8-4 win at #1 over John Park and Quoc Doan. For good measure, the third doubles team of Jack Zapala and Johan Berhof made it a clean Lion sweep, 8-4 over Sean Peterson and Ryan Stanbury.
Berhof made it 2-0 in LMU's favor with a convincing 6-0, 6-1 triumph over Peterson at #5 singles, followed by Malet pushing aside Conroy 6-3, 6-1 at #3 to put the Lions within one point of the win. Lopez made sure of the overall victory when he toppled Doan 6-3, 6-1 for his 11th singles win of the season.
With three matches still on the court, Aris Andreasian defeated Stanbury by identically posting 6-2, 6-2 set wins at #6. After pulling out a tight tie-breaker 7-6 in the first set, Geza Bazula got LMU's sixth point by downing Park 6-1 in the second set. The lone blemish of the day came when Sauer was locked in a tight battle with Anders at #3, only for the Highlander to gain the win, 7-6, 7-5.
The Lions head back on the road with a visit to UC Santa Barbara on Sunday, April 14 at 1 p.m.
- GO LIONS -
Loyola Marymount 6, UC Riverside 1
1) Ivan Lopez/Otto Sauer (LMU) def. John Park/Quoc Doan (UCR) 8-4
2) Borja Malet/Nick Von Der Ahe (LMU) def. Michael Conroy/Austin Andres (UCR) 8-5
3) Jack Zapala/Johan Berhof (LMU) def. Sean Peterson/Ryan Stanbury (UCR) 8-4
Order of finish: 2,1, 3
1) Lopez (LMU) def. Doan (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
2) Geza Bazula (LMU) def. Park (UCR) 7-6, 6-1
3) Andres (UCR) def. Sauer (LMU) 7-6, 7-5
4) Malet (LMU) def. Conroy (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
5) Johan Berhof (LMU) def. Peterson (UCR) 6-0, 6-1
6) Aria Andreasian (LMU) def. Stanbury (UCR) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 4, 1, 6, 2, 3