April 10, 2011
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -
The LMU Men's tennis team went on the road to Riverside this weekend to earn a win over UC Riverside, 6-1. After securing the doubles point on courts one and two, the Lions stayed strong in singles earning wins on five courts.
In doubles play, the Lions earned their first point on the day with wins on court one and two. Alex Wilton and Sebastian Bustamante earned their third straight win at the number one doubles spot with a victory over Conroy/Doan of UCR 8-6. Teammates Nicholas Bjerke and Aris Andreasian recorded a win over Andres/Macherez of UCR 8-6 on court two. With two wins, the Lions secured the doubles point and the early lead over Riverside. On court three, Tom Price and Daniel Simko fell to Griffin/Satnbury 8-4.
In singles play, the Lions earned wins on five courts to earn the match 6-1 overall. Nicholas Bjerke snapped his streak with a big win over Felix Macherez of UC Riverside, 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 on court two. Sebastian Bustamante followed in suit earning a win on court three over Conroy 6-1, 6-2. Alex Wilton is now 6-2 over the last eight matches with a victory over Andres of UCR 4-6, 7-6, 10-2. On court five, Tom Price recorded his third straight win defeating Stanbury 6-1, 7-6. Finally Daniel Simko defeated Peterson 6-3, 6-1 on court six. Aris Andreasian was unable to hold off Doan of UCR falling in a close 6-2, 4-6, (11-9).
The Lions will close out their regular season on April 17th against UC Santa Barbara before the West Coast Conference Championship Tournament April 21-23 in San Diego, CA.
1. Wilton/Bustamante (LMU) def. Conroy/Doan (UCR) 8-6
2. Bjerke/Andreasian (LMU) def. Andres/Macherez (UCR) 8-6
3. Price/Simko (LMU) def. Griffin/Stanbury (UCR) 8-4
1. Quoc Doan (UCR) def. Aris Andreasian (LMU) 6-2, 4-6 (11-9)
2. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) def. Felix Macherez (UCR) 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
3. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Michael Conroy (UCR) 6-1, 6-2
4. Alex Wilton (LMU) def. Austin Andres (UCR) 4-6, 7-6 (10-2)
5. Tom Price (LMU) def. Ryan Stanbury (UCR) 6-1, 7-6
6. Daniel Simko (LMU) def. Sean Peterson (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
- GO LIONS -