Lions Drop a Close One at Pacific
The LMU men's tennis team suffered a 5-2 setback to Pacific on Saturday.
April 12, 2014
Stockton, Calif. -- The LMU men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to the Pacific Tigers on the road Saturday. Coming off a tough match the day before, the Lions were unable to bounce back on Saturday, coming up just short against Pacific. LMU concludes its conference schedule at 4-5 in the WCC, while Pacific improves to 4-4 in conference.
The doubles round was extremely tight on all three courts and could have gone either way. LMU's No. 2 doubles team of Cristobal Rivera and Felix Van Kann squeezed out an 8-7 (6) win on Court 2 after winning the tiebreaker. However, Pacific would take the matches on Courts 1 and 3 to clinch the doubles point for the Tigers.
In singles play, Pacific was dominant on the top courts. LMU's only two singles wins came on Courts 5 and 6, where both Lions needed three sets to earn the victory. On Court 5, Rivera came from a set down to win 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 for his team-best 15th singles win this season. The sophomore has now won 11 of his last 12 matches. On Court 6, senior Daniel Simko also came from a set down to win 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 (9). Both sets along with the tiebreaker third set all went down to the final game with Simko coming out on top.
While the team's WCC slate came to an end Saturday, the Lions still have one regular season match left as they will travel to UC Irvine for a non-conference dual match on Wednesday April 16.
1. Sem Verbeek/Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Sebastian Bustamante/Todd Volmari 8-7 (5)
2. Cristobal Rivera/Felix Van Kann (LMU) def. Marlon Brand/Miguel Diaz (PAC) 8-7 (6)
3. Alex Hamilton/Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. David Doehring/Daniel Simko (LMU) 8-6
1. Verbeek (PAC) def. Volmari (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Stolyarov (PAC) def. Doehring (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Diaz (PAC) def. Van Kann (LMU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Alameh (PAC) def. Bustamante (LMU) 4-6, 7-5 (ret.)
5. Rivera (LMU) def. Hamilton (PAC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Simko (LMU) def. Erik Cederwall (PAC) 5-7, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (9)
M. Tennis - 2/23/2018
#42 LMU Tops #44 Cal Poly at Home
M. Tennis - 2/20/2018
Lions Earn Highest Ranking in Program History, Host Cal...
M. Tennis - 2/13/2018
Borchenko, Diaz Freire Named Doubles Team of Week
M. Tennis - 2/10/2018
LMU Tops Fresno State, 4-1
M. Tennis - 2/9/2018
Lions Claim Doubles Point, Drop Match at ASU
M. Tennis - 2/5/2018
Lions to Compete Against Arizona State, Fresno State This...