April 15, 2012
LOS ANGELES -- LMU men's tennis wrapped up its spring home schedule with a 5-2 defeat of Gonzaga. The Lions (10-11, 3-2 WCC) came back to defeat the Bulldogs (8-10, 1-5 WCC) in doubles and won the majority of singles matches.
Felix Van Kann and Alex Wilton fell in #1 doubles, 8-2, to Scott Sullivan and Zia Hwa Chong in the first doubles match to conclude. Nicholas Bjerke and Daniel Simko got a decisive victory over Olivier Jamin and Vladmir Mijatovic, 8-1. The point came down to court three where Todd Volmari and Nick Northcott defeated Muzeen Ismath and Alvaro Nazai, 9-7, in a back-and-forth match which saw the Lions' duo down several points.
The Bulldogs tied the match with a win in #1 singles by Nazai over Wilton, 6-0, 6-3. The Lions roared back as Volmari defeated Levin Guillermo 6-3, 6-1. Sullivan then beat Northcott 6-2, 6-3 to tie the match again. Van Kann put LMU on the precipice of a victory with a 6-4, 6-2 victory on court four. Bustamante got the match winning point by defeating Jamin 6-3, 6-4. Simko added to the Lions' win with a comeback victory of his own, defeating Mijatovic 6-0, 3-6, 6-3.
LMU finishes its regular season on the road with matches at San Diego Tuesday, Apr. 17 at 3:00 p.m. and at BYU Friday, Apr. 20 at 10:00 a.m.
1. Alvaro Nazai (GON) def. Alex Wilton (LMU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Levin Guillermo (GON) 6-3, 6-1
3. Sebastian Bustamante
(LMU) def. Olivier Jamin (GON) 6-3, 6-4
4. Felix Van Kann (LMU) def. Zia Hwa Chong (GON) 6-4, 6-2
5. Daniel Simko (LMU) def. Vladmir Mijatovic (GON) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
6. Scott Sullivan (GON) def. Nick Northcott (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Scott Sullivan/Zia Hwa Chong (GON) def. Felix van Kann/Alex Wilton (LMU) 8-2
2. Nicholas Bjerke/Daniel Simko (LMU) def. Olivier Jamin/Vladmir Mijatovic (GON) 8-1
3. Todd Volmari/Nick Northcott (LMU) def. Muzeen Ismath/Alvaro Nazai (GON) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,6,4,3,5)