Men's Tennis Defeated by No. 25 USD, 7-0
The Lions nearly came back to win the doubles point but fell in a tiebreaker.
April 17, 2012
SAN DIEGO -- The Lions began their final week of conference, regular season play with a defeat to No. 25 San Diego, 7-0. LMU (10-12, 3-3 WCC) nearly won the doubles point but were foiled in the final contest in a tiebreak, and the Torreros (14-7, 5-2 WCC) road the doubles win momentum through singles.
The Lions began the match with a victory by Todd Volmari and Nick Northcott over Victor Pugliese and Andrew Carlisle on court three, 8-3. Alex Wilton and Felix Van Kann fell in the next match to conclude to Ciran Fitzgerald and Nikola Bubnic, 8-3. The point came down to #1 doubles, where No. 67 Nicholas Bjerke and Sebastian Bustamantefell to Clarke Spinosa and Thibaut Visy in a thrilling match, 9-8 by tiebreaker.
The Torreros were dominant in singles. Daniel Simko was the first Lion to fall, losing to Ciaran Fitzgerald 6-1, 6-0. No. 36 Nikola Bubnic defeated Alex Wilton 6-4, 6-1 in #1 singles. Sebastian Bustamante lost to No. 112 Thibaut Visy 6-2, 6-2 on court three. Todd Volmari was beaten by Clarke Spinosa 6-4, 6-4. Andrew Raphaelson defeated Robin Kiyabu 6-4, 7-6. Felix Van Kannfell in the final contest 6-1, 7-5 to Victor Pugliese.
Next up for the Lions is the regular season finale at BYU on Friday, Apr. 20 at 10:00 a.m.
1. #36 Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. Alex Wilton (LMU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-4, 6-4
3. #112 Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Victor Pugliese (USD) def. Felix Van Kann (LMU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Andrew Raphaelson (USD) def. Robin Kiyabu (LMU) 6-4, 7-6
1. Clarke Spinosa/Thibaut Visy (USD) def. #67 Nicholas Bjerke/Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. Alex Wilton/Felix van Kann (LMU) 8-3
3. Todd Volmari/Nick Northcott (LMU) def. Victor Pugliese/Andrew Carlisle (USD) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,1,3,2,6,4)