LMU Tops Dons at Home, 4-3
Joat Farah contributed the clinching victory at #3 singles.
Beginning a string of three home matches in as many days to conclude the 2016 regular season, LMU men’s tennis (10-9, 3-4 WCC) won a hard-fought match over San Francisco (4-19, 2-5 WCC) on Friday by a score of 4-3 from the LMU Tennis Center.
USF got off to a solid start by capturing the doubles point, thanks to wins by Nils Skajaa-Vasco Valverde and Thomas Takemoto-Christian Brockstedt. LMU did manage a victory in doubles play, with Lukas Moenter and Luke Bohuslav defeating Woravin Kumthonkitti and Tynan Maguire, 6-4, on court three.
While they dropped the doubles point, LMU came alive in singles play, winning four of the six courts to take the match. Errol Smith drew the Lions even in the match score with a victory over Ruan Marker, 6-2, 6-3. After Moenter dropped a match at #4 singles, Jamie Thorp and Bohuslav won matches on courts six and five to push LMU ahead by a point at 3-2. Thorp, who was forced into the starting singles lineup due to an injury, defeated Kumthonkitti, 6-2, 6-4, before Bohuslav dispatched Maguire in three sets, 5-7, 6-4, 6-0.
The top court featured an epic match between Nils Skajaa and Cristobal Rivera, as the duo played to three sets, including a 7-6 set two that went in favor of Skajaa. The Don top player would carry that momentum into the third, defeating Rivera, 6-4, to keep the Dons alive.
With all the attention turned to court three, LMU’s Farah had to mount a comeback to seal the Lion victory. After dropping the first set to Thomas Takemoto, Farah stormed back for a 6-7, 6-4, 6-3 win to clinch the match and move to 12-7 in dual matches this season.
LMU will continue a busy weekend on Saturday when it hosts Santa Clara at 11 a.m.
San Francisco vs LMU (Apr 22, 2016)
LMU 4, San Francisco 3
Apr 22, 2016 at Los Angeles, Calif. (LMU Tennis Center)
1. Nils Skajaa (SFU) def. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
2. Errol Smith (LMU) def. Ruan Marker (SFU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Joat Farah (LMU) def. Thomas Takemoto (SFU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
4. Vasco Valverde (SFU) def. Lukas Moenter (LMU) 6-2, 7-6
5. Luke Bohuslav (LMU) def. Tynan Maguire (SFU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
6. Jamie Thorp (LMU) def. Woravin Kumthonkitti (SFU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Nils Skajaa/Vasco Valverde (SFU) def. Joat Farah/Errol Smith (LMU) 6-1
2. Thomas Takemoto/Christian Brockstedt (SFU) def. Charles Boyce/Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 7-6 (7-1)
3. Lukas Moenter/Luke Bohuslav (LMU) def. Woravin Kumthonkitti/Tynan Maguire (SFU) 6-4
San Francisco 4-19, 2-5 WCC
LMU 10-9, 3-4 WCC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,4,6,5,1,3)
M. Tennis - 11/12/2017
LMU Finishes LMU Invite Strong
M. Tennis - 11/11/2017
Lions Sweep Pepperdine in Singles
M. Tennis - 11/10/2017
Day One From LMU Invite in Books
M. Tennis - 11/7/2017
Lions Host LMU Invite This Weekend
M. Tennis - 11/2/2017
Prost Reaches Main Draw at SoCal Intercollegiate
M. Tennis - 10/25/2017
61st Annual SoCal Championships Next for LMU