Men's Tennis Falls to San Francisco, 4-3
The Lions fought back after losing the doubles round, but fell one point short in singles.
April 25, 2012
SAN DIEGO -- LMU men's tennis fell to San Francisco in the first round of the West Coast Conference Tennis Championships, 4-3. The Lions (10-14, 3-4 WCC) nearly rallied after losing the doubles point in a tiebreak, but fell to the Dons (5-16, 1-6 WCC) in the deciding match.
In doubles, Nicholas Bjerke and Sebastian Bustamante fell early on court one to Thai Tu and William Schmacher, 8-3. The team of Felix Van Kann and Alex Wilton held on to win their match versus Jonathan Knowlman and Germain Bahri, 9-8. It all came down to court three where Todd Volmari and Daniel Simko mounted a comeback, trailing throughout the match, but eventually falling Richard Bucalem and Bernardo Sariava, 9-8.
Singles saw Bjerke withstand the doubles round defeat with a 6-0 6-2 win on court two over Bahri. Tu defeated Wilton in #1 singles. Bustamante defeated Schumacher for another Lions' point 6-4, 6-2. Simko fell to Hartwig 7-6, 6-1 on court six. Van Kann kept the Lions in the match with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in #5 singles.
The match came down to court three. Volmari gained the early edge with a 6-4 first set win. Sariava rallied to win the second and third set 6-2, 6-3 giving the Dons the match.
LMU finished its season with a record of 10-14, 3-4 in WCC play.
1. Thai Tu/William Schmacher (USF) def. Nicholas Bjerke/Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 8-3
2. Felix Van Kann/Alex Wilton (LMU) def. Jonathan Knowlman/Germain Bahri (USF) 9-7
3. Richard Bucalem/Bernardo Sariava (USF) def. Todd Volmari/Daniel Simko (LMU) 9-8
1. Thai Tu (USF) def. Alex Wilton (LMU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) def. Germain Bahri (USF) 6-0, 6-3
3. Bernardo Sariava (USF) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Will Schumacher (USF) 6-4, 6-2
5. Felix Van Kann (LMU) def.Richard Bucalem (USF) 7-5, 6-2
6. Jacob Hartwig (USF) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 7-6, 6-1