Sudden-Death Loss Caps Tough Conference Battle

Nov. 4, 2017

LINKS: #LIONSTRONG | Give to LMU Athletics | LMU on Facebook | LMU on Twitter

Box Score

LOS ANGELES – In a back-and-forth game that featured ties after the first, third, and fourth quarter, and the second overtime, it was Concordia (10-10, 4-3 WWPA) that outlasted Loyola Marymount (6-18, 2-5 WWPA), winning 12-11. Following the game, LMU recognized its senior class in the final home conference game of their careers. 

The two sides looked as if they would play a scoreless first quarter, before the Eagles put one in with 1:18 to play. LMU answered on the next possession with a powerplay goal from Jacob Markle, ending the period at 1-1.

Just 18 seconds into the second quarter, Alessio Brunochelli gave the Lions their first lead, with Markle adding to it less than a minute later. After Concordia cut it to a one-goal game, 3-2. Markle added his third of the game at the 4:45 mark to give LMU their two-goal cushion back. The Eagles added one on their next offensive possession, and the score stood until intermission, with LMU holding a 4-3 lead at the break.

Concordia opened the third quarter with three of the first four goals, with Joseph Shaw’s even-strength goal sandwiched inbetween. After the Eagles took a brief lead, Brunochelli added his second to tie the game at 6-all heading into the fourth quarter.



Matt Braun opened the final period with the go-ahead goal at the 7:17 mark. After Concordia scored the equalizer, the momentum briefly shifted back to LMU with Braun’s second goal with 3:28 to play before the Eagles tied it a 8-8 with 2:09 remaining. Braun then scored another go-ahead after capitalizing on the second-chance opportunity following a missed shot. With 25 seconds remaining Concordia tied the score after converting a penalty shot to force overtime.

In the first extra session, Neil LeVecke followed his winning sprint by putting LMU ahead with his first goal of the game. Concordia closed out the session with the next two goals taking an advantage into the second overtime.

Similar to the first overtime, LMU’s sprint winner scored the session’s first and only goal, as Braun tied the scored at 11-11, forcing a “golden goal” situation.

Concordia closed out the game at the 2:22 mark of the final session, taking the win

LMU played both of their senior goalies. Tim Shaw made four saves as the starter and Dominick Beaudine made nine saves since taking over at the half.

The Lions close out the regular season Wednesday with a 3 p.m. home game against Long Beach State back at Burns Aquatic Center.

 Support LMU's 22 intercollegiate teams and its student-athletes through scholarships and team support by joining the Lions Athletics Fund. Your help will make LMU #LIONSTRONG.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago