Wallace Leads Lions to PCH Cup Win Over Pepperdine, 72-60
The sophomore tabbed a game-high 16 points to go with a career-high 15 rebounds
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Behind 22 points and a career-high 15 rebounds from Cheyenne Wallace, the LMU women’s basketball team tallied a Wells Fargo PCH Cup victory over Pepperdine, 72-60, Thursday night at Gersten Pavilion
Wallace notched a game-high 22 points, connecting on 8-of-19 from the floor and added in four steals. Jackie Johnson contributed 14 points, including going 6-for-6 from the charity stripe down the stretch, while Leslie Lopez-Wood also registered a 14-point outing.
Pepperdine (3-11, 1-2 WCC) opened the first half shooting 42.9 percent (18-for-28) to take a 28-27 lead at the break. LMU (6-8, 1-2 WCC) stifled the Waves in the second frame, holding them to hit on just 27.8 percent (10-of-36) from the floor, while the Lions took advantage of 17 second chance points to earn their fifth straight decision over Pepperdine.
• Pepperdine went ahead 6-3 before LMU spurted a 9-0 run to go ahead 12-6 midway through the quarter. Rachel Stanley converted on a tough layup on a feed from Brittney Reed to close out the quarter, as the Lions dealt an assist on all seven of their field goals in the opening stanza to go ahead 18-12.
• The Waves opened the second quarter with a 9-3 run to take the lead at 24-21 until a coast-to-coast drive by Cheyenne Wallace reclaimed the lead for the Lions with three minutes left in the quarter at 25-24, though Pepperdine would hold a 28-27 advantage at the end of half.
• Wallace opened the second half with a drive through the lane and Bianca Velasco followed with a 3-pointer, reclaiming the upper hand for the Lions at 32-21 two minutes into the second half.
• After exchanging baskets, Pepperdine hit two straight 3-pointers to go up 40-36 midway through the third. The Lions went on a 10-0 streak to close out the quarter, capped by a Brittney Reed 3-pointer at the buzzer to reclaim the upper hand at 48-45.
• Wallace dominated the third quarter, accounting for 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting to go with five boards.
• The Lions suffocated Pepperdine in the fourth quarter, holding them to hit on 23.5 percent (4-for-17) from the field and 20.0 percent (1-of-5) from deep.
• Lopez-Wood snapped nine points in fourth frame and Johnson added six, pushing LMU to its first conference win.
• Shelbi Aimonetti pulled down a career-high eight rebounds.
• LMU held a 17-2 advantage in second chance points, while the offense dished an assist on 15 of its 18 field goals.
FROM COACH ELLIOTT
• "It was really critical that we had a couple people step up because it wasn't a great shooting night. We struggled, but then we came back and hit some big free throws."
• "Brittney's minutes were really impactful, especially defensively. Raychel gave us great minutes. Makenzie wasn't hitting her shots, but my goodness she was really engaged, gave us some good minutes. Cheyanne had a look in her of we're going to take care of this thing. She kept getting big rebounds and if she missed she kept going after it."
• "A lot of fight tonight. We knew it was going to be a dog fight, that's the way it's going to be in conference games now. We're glad we made our free throws and took care of business down the stretch."
LMU will return to the road Saturday at Santa Clara for a 2 p.m. matchup.
The best way to get tickets to this season of LMU basketball is still through season tickets. To renew season tickets, click MY ACCOUNT. To buy new season ticket, click BUY TICKETS. Have the promo code for the local community season ticket, click PROMO CODE.
Support LMU's 22 intercollegiate teams and it's student-athletes through scholarships and team support by joining the Lions Athletics Fund. Your help will make LMU #LIONSTRONG.
W. Basketball - 5/8/2018
Bandimere, Elmes Earn Top Honors At 2018 Iggy Awards
W. Basketball - 5/5/2018
LMU Celebrates Commencement 2018
W. Basketball - 4/17/2018
Golf Classic Continues to be a Highlight for LMU Athletics
W. Basketball - 4/16/2018
Cierra Belvin Selected To Lingdao Fellows Program
W. Basketball - 3/26/2018
A Season Of Success; Recapping 2017-18
W. Basketball - 3/19/2018
April Phillips Named To WBCA's Prestigious Thirty Under...