Program-Record Seven First Half Goals Fuels Women’s Soccer to Victory

Oct. 27, 2017

Final Stats

LINKS: Tickets | #LIONSTRONG | Give to LMU Athletics | LMU on Facebook | LMU on Twitter

LOS ANGELES – Loyola Marymount women’s soccer broke a ten-year program record with seven goals in a half Friday night at Sullivan Field. The Lions (7-6-4, 2-4-1 WCC) blanked Saint Mary’s (6-11-0, 2-5-0 WCC), 7-0, in the second-largest scoring output in team history.

“It was obviously a great win for us tonight,” said Head Coach Michelle Myers. “Over the last few games, we’ve been playing a lot of really good soccer, and unfortunately we haven’t gotten results. Tonight we said we owe them from last year, for knocking us out from going to the playoffs, but if we brought the same energy as the last few games, there would be no reason why good things wouldn’t happen to us.”

The scoring started with Melissa Lewis in the eighth minute of action. Lewis collected a cross from Skylar Robledo on the far side of the box to give LMU the early lead.



It took just a few minutes of play before that lead doubled to 2-0 thanks to a mistake on Saint Mary’s back line, resulting in an uncleared ball and an own goal in the 12th minute.

The Gaels suffered from another ball that was not properly cleared in the 27th minute, allowing Sarina Bolden to play the ball to Maddie Medved for another LMU goal.

The freshman pair of Maki Kono and Olivia LaCasto then got in on the scoring action. The two made it 4-0 and 5-0, respectively, with their first-career collegiate goals. On the first one, Jill Farley played the ball into the box allowing Kono to score from around the penalty kick mark in the 34th minute, then LaCasto followed in the 40th minute with a rebound putback for the score.

Pilar Torres added one just 23 seconds after LaCasto’s goal. Sarah Sanger dribbled into the box and left it for Torres who blasted it past the goalkeeper.

The game’s final goal came at the 42:51 mark, with LMU working the ball from Emma Tyrnauer to Jill Farley to Sarah Sanger for the goal. 

The Lions preserved the shutout and kept the score line the same to earn the West Coast Conference win. Charlee Pruitt played 68-plus minutes in net and made one save before Lee Erickson replaced her for the final 21:44. Erickson came up with two saves in the second half to preserve the clean sheet.

“To get seven goals was incredible,” said Myers. “It was nice to get some players some rest and to get a look at some of the players that will be stepping up in the future. Overall the goal in the second half was to keep the shutout, and I’m very happy that we were able to do that.”

On September 14, 2007, the Lions scored nine goals against Lamar in a non-conference win. LMU scored a then-record five goals in the second half of that game, before setting the new mark with seven goals in a half on Friday.

The Lions wore pink shorts and pink warm-up shirts on Friday as a part of LMU’s “Think Pink” game for breast cancer awareness. 

LMU remains at home this weekend and hosts Pacific on Sunday at 2 p.m. back on Sullivan Field.

 Support LMU's 22 intercollegiate teams and its student-athletes through scholarships and team support by joining the Lions Athletics Fund. Your help will make LMU #LIONSTRONG.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago