Lions Split Pair of Sand Matches Tuesday
LMU defeated CSU Bakersfield before falling to Long Beach State.
April 3, 2013
LONG BEACH, Calif. - STORY BY ETHAN DAVIS
Following their eight-day break from competitive competition, the LMU Lions headed south to take on CSU Bakersfield and host school No. 2 Long Beach State on Tuesday afternoon.
In their first match of the day, the Lions defeated CSU Bakersfield 3-2. Playing out of the No. 1 position, Felicia Arriola and Litara Keil defeated Debora Araujo and Yuan Fu (21-15, 21-19). Despite dropping the first set of the match, Avery Bush and Rachelle Suaava clawed back in to claim a victory over Julia Bowen and Danika Youngblood (18-21, 21-16, 15-7). To seal the victory over CSUB, Ashley Maxfeldt and Anne Marie Taylor teamed up to defeat Tamov Fowler and Fernanda Gonsalves (22-20, 21-14). The victory over the `Runners was Loyola Marymount's third consecutive team victory.
In their second matchup of the day, the Lions competed against host school and No. 2 Long Beach State whom had also defeated CSUB. Despite dropping the match 5-0, the Lions gained valuable experience as they prepare to take on UCLA. In more than half of their matches, the Lions were able to score double digits against their toughest competition to date.
The Lions of Loyola Marymount take to sand today, March 3, at 2:00 p.m. to face the Bruins of UCLA at the Annenberg Beach House.
Loyola Marymount 3, Cal State Bakersfield 2
Long Beach State 5, Loyola Marymount 0
1) Caitlin Ledoux/Tara Roenicke, LBSU def. Felicia Arriola/Litara Keil, LMU 21-10, 21-9
2) Bre Mackie/Chelsea Cabrajac, LBSU def. Kenna Crouse/Taylor Scioscia, LMU 21-9, 21-6
3) Delainey Aigner-Swesey/Libby Fontanilla, LBSU def. Hannah Tedrow/Amber Mirabello, LMU 21-11, 21-14
4) Lauren Minkel/Jocelyn Neely, LBSU def. Avery Bush/Rachelle Suaava, LMU 21-8, 21-13
5) Tyler Jackson/Janisa Johnson, LBSU def. Ashley Maxfeldt/Anne Marie Taylor, LMU 21-11, 21-13