Jan. 19, 2008
Tulsa, OK - The 64th ranked Loyola Marymount women's tennis team traveled to Tulsa, OK on Saturday to compete against No. 46 University of Tulsa. The Lions came into the match ready to play, winning the doubles point, but could not follow through in singles, losing the match (6-1) to drop to 0-2 for the 2008 spring season.
In doubles play, seniors Tamara Tanner and Pavla Mesterova won decisively at the No. 1 slot, beating the Tulsa combination of Zabaleta/Row, 8-3. At the No. 2 spot, junior Tina Razloznik and freshman Jasmin Heckel won the deciding doubles point in a close, hard fought match against Kichoutkin/Zeng, 8-6. In another close match, at the No. 3 position LMU's duo of sophomores Audrey Bulkley and Bliss Nixon almost made a clean sweep but could not pull off the tiebreaker, losing to Tulsa's Barriga/Webster, 9-7.
The Lions stuggled in singles, dropping all first sets and ultimately all six singles. At the No. 1 slot, Mesterova played in the closest match of the day, but still could not pull out a victory, losing to Barriga (7-5, 1-6, 10-6). Tanner lost at the No. 2 position to Zabaleta (7-6, 6-2), while Razloznik fell at the No. 3 position to Kichoutkin (6-1, 6-2).
To finish off singles play, Heckel was defeated by Row, 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot, Bulkley fell to Santoro (6-1, 6-4), and Nixon lost to Zeng (6-0, 6-0).
Overall, it was not a great morning for the Lions who will look to regroup and get their first dual match win of the season tomorrow at Tulsa against 59th ranked Oklahoma State.
1. Thalia Diaz-Barriga (TLS) def. Pavla Mesterova
(LMU) 7-5, 1-6, 10-6
2. Carla Zabaleta (TLS) def. Tamara Tanner
(LMU) 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
3. Alexandra Kichoutkin (TLS) def. Tina Razloznik
(LMU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Rebecca Row (TLS) def. Jasmin Heckel
(LMU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Agostina Santoro (TLS) def. Audrey Bulkley
(LMU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Jie Zeng (TLS) def. Bliss Nixon
(LMU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Pavla Mesterova/Tamara Tanner (LMU) def. Rebecca Row/Carla Zabaleta (TLS) 8-3
2. Tina Razloznik/Jasmin Heckel (LMU) def. Alexandra Kichoutkin/Jie Zeng (TLS) 9-7
3. Thalia Diaz-Barriga/Jenna Webster (TLS) def. Bliss Nixon/Audrey Bulkley (LMU) 9-8 (3-1)