The LMU women's tennis team (1-1) defended its home court on Sunday afternoon, earning a 5-2 victory over visiting Cal Poly (0-1) from the LMU Tennis Center.
The doubles competition proved exciting as Cal Poly and the Lions split the first two decisions on courts one and three. Veronica Miroshnichenko and Eva Marie Voracek, ranked #10 in the ITA rankings, earned a 7-5 win at the top spot, knocking off Seriana Saltzen and Molly Reed. With the point hinging on court two, Siobhan Anderson and Anna Romeka outlasted MacKenzie Worsnop and Abigail Bacharach, 7-6 (4).
The first three singles decisions went the way of the Lions, as LMU sealed a victory with wins on courts one, two and three. #29 Miroshnichenko had little trouble with Susanne Boyden at #1 singles, dispatching her opponent, 6-0, 6-2. Voracek, ranked #107, also earned a straight-set victory, beating Worsnop, 6-4, 6-2. Anderson was the first Lion to pick up a singles victory, quickly topping Saltzen, 6-1, 6-2, at #3 singles.
LMU's final victory in singles came at the fifth spot in the order, as Camila Tumosa defeated Caroline Williams, 6-3, 6-1.
While the team decision was already decided, Yesica De Lucas and Celine Gruaz found themselves in the middle of the action at the end of the match. The duo was busy playing a hard-fought match on court six, and de Lucas won the second set to force a tiebreaking third. In the race to 10 points, the two players traded blows, with the Mustang junior erasing a couple of match-point deficits before eventually stealing the victory, 7-6 (6), 2-6, 1-0 (11).
The Lions will now travel to UCLA on February 16, where they will go head-to-head against the Bruins at 1:30 p.m.
LMU 5, Cal Poly 2
Jan 28, 2018 at Los Angeles, Calif. (LMU Tennis Center)
1. #29 V. Miroshnichenko (LMU) def. Susanne Boyden (CP) 6-0, 6-2
2. #107 Eva Marie Voracek (LMU) def. MacKenzie Worsnop (CP) 6-4, 6-2
3. Siobhan Anderson (LMU) def. Seriana Saltzen (CP) 6-1, 6-2
4. Molly Reed (CP) def. Anna Romeka (LMU) 7-5, 5-0, retired
5. Camila Tumosa (LMU) def. Caroline Williams (CP) 6-3, 6-1
6. Celine Gruaz (CP) def. Yesica De Lucas (LMU) 7-6 (8-6), 2-6, 1-0 (13-11)
1. #10 V. Miroshnichenko/Eva Marie Voracek (LMU) def. #10 Seriana Saltzen/Molly Reed (CP) 7-5
2. Siobhan Anderson/Anna Romeka (LMU) def. MacKenzie Worsnop/Abigail Bacharach (CP) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Grace Olyphant/Caroline Williams (CP) def. Camila Tumosa/Yesica De Lucas (LMU) 6-2
Cal Poly 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,2,4,5,6)
W. Tennis - 2/21/2018
LMU Earns Road Victory at Long Beach
W. Tennis - 2/21/2018
Lions Head to the Beach Today
W. Tennis - 2/17/2018
Lions Win Thriller Over Cal State Fullerton
W. Tennis - 2/16/2018
#10 UCLA Tops LMU
W. Tennis - 2/12/2018
A Working Weekend in LA for the Lions
W. Tennis - 1/28/2018
Lions Defend Home Court in Victory over Cal Poly