Lions Improve Record to 3-1, Sweep UC Riverside
Women's tennis gets its third straight home victory beating the Highlanders, 7-0.
Feb. 7, 2013
LOS ANGELES -- The LMU women's tennis team improved to 3-1 on the season when they defeated UC Riverside 7-0 at the LMU Tennis Center Thursday.
The Thursday win helped the Lions stay undefeated at home early on in the 2013 spring season, while UC Riverside dropped to 0-3 on the year. After a full schedule the past two weeks that included a big win over No. 39 Long Beach St., the Lions now have nine days off until they resume play at UC Santa Barbara.
In the doubles round, both teams were fairly even. Miya Jin and Claudia Razzeto won 8-5 on court one for the Lions. UC Riverside's court three duo won their match 8-6, leaving court two to play for the point. Reka Rohonyi and Kristine Kouyoumjian held on to win 8-6 and get the doubles point for LMU.
During singles play, it was the top and bottom that got it done early for the Lions. On court one, Bisharat won ¬¬¬¬6-0, 6-0 and finished her match third. Bisharat entered the match ranked No. 19 in the Southwest region and showed why on Thursday. The Lions also won easily on courts five and six with Kouyoumjian and Lisa Piller each getting the double bagel, winning 6-0, 6-0, and finishing first and second respectively. These three sweeps gave the Lions four points and clinched the victory early.
Rohonyi defeated McKay 6-3, 6-3 on court three. Jin followed that win by beating Pattugalan 6-4, 6-2. In the final match of the day, Razzeto came back from a set down to defeat Raney 6-7, 6-1, 10-3.
After the aforementioned break, LMU resumes play Saturday, Feb. 16 with a two-day trip to Santa Barbara, playing the host Gauchos on Saturday, followed by a neutral site match with Colorado Sunday, Feb. 17.
- GO LIONS -
1. April Bisharat (LMU) def. Jamie Raney (UCR) 6-0, 6-0
2. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) def. Taylor Raney (UCR) 6-7, 6-1, 10-3
3. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Natalie McKay (UCR) 6-3, 6-3
4. Miya Jin (LMU) def. Courtney Pattugalan (UCR) 6-4, 6-2
5. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Kate Bergeson (UCR) 6-0, 6-0
6. Lisa Piller (LMU) def. Thanh Doan (UCR) 6-0, 6-0
1. Miya Jin/Claudia Razzeto (LMU) def. Jamie Raney/Taylor Raney (UCR) 8-5
2. Reka Rohonyi/Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Natalie McKay/Courtney Pattugalan (UCR) 8-6
3. Kate Bergeson/Thanh Doan (UCR) def. Lisa Piller/Adriana Radinovic (LMU) 8-6
W. Tennis - 10/9/2017
Romeka Wins Flight D, Juravliova/Tumosa Capture Doubles...
W. Tennis - 10/6/2017
Beach Tennis Fall Tournament on Tap for LMU
W. Tennis - 10/2/2017
Anderson, De Lucas Win Brackets; Miroshnichenko/Voracek...
W. Tennis - 9/22/2017
Miroshnichenko, Voracek Impress at Oracle ITA Masters...
W. Tennis - 9/12/2017
Miroshnichenko Tabbed a Top Newcomer-Freshman
W. Tennis - 9/6/2017
Women’s Day at the Races Returns in October