Lions Lose Heartbreaker to No. 75 Wyoming
Parravi and Bisharat get singles wins, but team loses doubles point after comeback by Wyoming.
Feb. 12, 2012
LOS ANGELES - The Lions were within a few points of gaining the upper hand in their match with No. 75 Wyoming, but a couple of bad bounces in the final doubles match allowed the Cowgirls to make a comeback and eventually win the contest 5-2 over LMU.
The Cowgirls began the match by gaining the cruical doubles point. Claudia Razzeto and Miya Jin lead off the round defeating Kovacs and Nemcova, 8-3. Wyoming rallied back with a win by Parizher and Zhelyazkova over April Bisharat and Tory Parravi, 8-4. The doubles round came down to court one where Elisaveta Pironkova and Reka Rohonyi were unable to hold on to an early lead, losing to Synkova and Popvici, 9-7. The setback was costly, but "progress was made" by changing the doubles pairings, said head coach Jamie Sanchez. Sanchez commented, "we're on the right track" when discussing the new doubles combinations.
In singles action, the Lions gained a point back as April Bisharat defeated Veronica Popovic who had to retire from the contest due to an injury. Wyoming won the next two points with victories by Alexandra Kovacs over Miya Jin, 6-4, 7-5, and Jessica Parizher over Ashley Anderson, 6-3, 6-4. Tory Parravi got LMU back into the match with a 7-6, 6-3 win over Sasa Nemcova, for her third consecutive singles victory. Silviya Zhelyazkova then wrapped up the victory for the Cowgirls by defeating Elisaveta Pironkova, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1. The final singles contest went to Wyoming's Simona Synkova who won by default in the third set due to an official's ruling over Claudia Razzeto after the match was 7-5, 1-6, 6-5.
LMU showed determination and fight in the match, battling the No. 75 Cowgirls down to the final point. Even after losing the doubles point, the Lions did not relent and showed a toughness and spirit that will help them in future matches. Sanchez insisted, "that win's right around the corner."
The Lions conclude their four-game homestand with a match against Cal State Northridge this Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 1:30 p.m. at the LMU Tennis Center.
1. April Bisharat (LMU) def. Veronica Popovici (WYO), by forfeit
2. Simona Synkova (WYO) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU), by default
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Tory Parravi (LMU) def. Sasa Nemcova (WYO) 7-6, 6-3
5. Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Ashley Anderson (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
1. Simona Synkova/Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Elisaveta Pironkova/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 9-7
2. Claudia Razzeto/Miya Jin (LMU) def. Alexandra Kovacs/Sasa Nemcova (WYO) 8-3
3. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. April Bisharat/Tory Parravi (LMU) 8-4