Feb. 17, 2006
Los Angeles, Calif. The Loyola Marymount women's team took on No. 68 UC Irvine Friday in their second home match of the season. After picking up their first win of the season yesterday against Cal State Fullerton, the rain had different plans for the Lions. The Lions fell 4-0 in a match that was called due to rain.
LMU won the number one spot doubles match but fell in the two and three spots giving UC Irvine the doubles point. Pavla Mesterova and Robyn Baker competed at the number one spot and captured the win against Izabela Mijic and Sayme Hu of UC Irvine 8-5.
Baker was injured last week but was able to compete in doubles play but she had to be pulled from singles action. The Lions had to step up and compete without their number two spot. LMU was leading at the number one spot with Mesterova competing against Mijic of UC Irvine. But the match was called due to rain. The Lions fell at the number three and six spots and UC Irvine clinched the win over LMU when Izabela Mijic defeated Patrycia Hubl at the number two spot 6-2, 6-4.
The Lions continue action on Sunday when the take on the University of Hawaii at 11:00AM at the LMU Tennis Center.
1. Mesterova/Baker (LMU) def. Mijic/Hu (UCI) 8-5
2. Agababian/Kaloi (UCI) def. Sundac/Ivey (LMU) 8-2
3. Bernhard/Siddall (UCI) def. Hubl/Kos (LMU) 8-6
2. Izabela Mijic (UCI) def. Patrycia Hubl (LMU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Inna Agababian (UCI) def. Erin Ivey (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Heidi Kaloi (UCI) def. Shawnell Russell (LMU) 6-0, 6-2