Feb. 17, 2013
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- The Lions lost a 4-3 decision to the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos Saturday in a match which lasted five hours and finished in the dark at the UCSB Stadium Courts. LMU (3-2) swept the doubles matches, but fell in singles after losing No. 1 player April Bisharat to injury forcing a retirement, and losing three of the other five matches to the Gauchos (5-2).
LMU head coach Jamie Sanchez described the contest as a "weird match from start to finish." The Lions started the match slowly but won all three doubles battles to build a 1-0 lead in the match. Juniors Miya Jin and Claudia Razzeto defeated Scatliffe and Meehan, 8-6. Bisharat and sophomore Tory Parravi defeated the Gauchos' team of Garcia and Yam, 8-4. Junior Reka Rohonyi and freshman Kristine Kouyoumjian finished the LMU sweep with an 8-5 win over Cos and Cano.
In singles, Bisharat was down 2-0 in the first set when she withdrew due to injury. With the match tied 1-1, Parravi fell 6-0, 6-1, to Meehan on court two. Rohonyi lost to Garcia, 6-0, 6-0, putting the Gauchos on the cusp of victory.
The final three matches came down to the third set. Jin got a point back for the Lions with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 comeback win over Yam on court five. Unfortunately for LMU, Cano was able to complete a comeback of her own against Kouyoumjian, winning 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 to clinch the match. Razzeto followed up the deciding match with a 6-2, 6-7, 7-5 win over Cos.
The match saw a doubles round which lasted an hour and a half, followed by the Gauchos getting three singles wins in the next hour and a half, before concluding in the dark after five hours. Sanchez said, "it was a crazy match that started slow, then fast, then it took forever."
LMU completes its two-match trip to Santa Barbara with a neutral site match against the University of Colorado on Sunday.
- GO LIONS -
1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Bisharat, April (LMU) 2-0, (ret.)
2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Parravi, Tory (LMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Razzeto, Claudia (LMU) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
4. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. ROHONI, Reka (LMU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jin, Miya (LMU) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Kouyoumjian, Kristine (LMU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
1. JIN, Miya/ Razzeto, Claudia (LMU) def. April Scatliffe/ Kiersten Meehan 8-6
2. BISHARAT, April/ Parravi, Tory (LMU) def. Priscila Garcia/ Stacy Yam 8-4
3. ROHONI, Reka/ Kouyoumjian, Kristine (LMU) def. Paola Cos/ Erica Cano 8-5