Back at the LMU Tennis Center on Saturday morning, the LMU women's tennis team (2-2) won a thrilling 4-3 decision over Cal State Fullerton (6-2). The match came down to the play at #6 singles, and freshman Sofiya Gaisina recorded the clincher.
Gaisina was matched against Masako Makiba with the match squared at three points apiece. The two players split the first two sets, with Gaisina taking the opener, 7-5, before dropping the second, 6-4. Needing to win to earn a team victory, Gaisina posted a 6-2 triumph in the final frame.
LMU had won the doubles point, but that too came down to the play on a single court. #24 Veronica Miroshnichenko and Eva Marie Voracek, playing at the top spot in the order, sealed that decision by way of a 6-4 victory. Elvira Juravliova and Camila Tumosa earned the first half of the doubles win, defeating Danielle Pham/Jadie Acidera, 6-2, on court three.
Miroshnichenko, playing as the 22nd-ranked player according to ITA, posted a convincing 6-3, 6-1 win over Sarah Nuno at the top of the order to start singles, putting LMU on top 2-0 in the match score. Fullerton's Genevieve Zeidan, ranked #97, got a point back for the Titans by posting a 2-6, 6-1, 7-5 win over #104 Voracek.
After Caisey Lee Emery notched a second win for Fullerton on court five, the two teams found themselves knotted at two points each. Yesica De Lucas was next to finish, defeating Luxizi Meng, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, to put LMU back on top, 3-2. Shifting attention to court three, Karla Portalatin and Siobhan Anderson were busy trading lopsided sets. Anderson won the first, 6-2, but fell 6-1 in the second before eventually dropping the third, 7-5, forcing the decision to hinge on the play of Gaisina on court six.
LMU will return to action on Wednesday when it travels to Long Beach State for a match at 2 p.m.
Cal State Fullerton vs LMU (Feb 17, 2018)
LMU 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
Feb 17, 2018 at Los Angeles, California (LMU Tennis Center)
1. #22 V. Miroshnichenko (LMU) def. Nuno, Sarah (CSF) 6-3, 6-1
2. #97 Zeidan, Genevieve (CSF) def. #104 Eva Marie Voracek (LMU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Portalatin, Karla (CSF) def. Siobhan Anderson (LMU) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Yesica De Lucas (LMU) def. Meng, Luxizi (CSF) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. Emery, Caisey Lee (CSF) def. Camila Tumosa (LMU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Sofiya Gaisina (LMU) def. Makiba, Masako (CSF) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
1. #24 V. Miroshnichenko/Eva Marie Voracek (LMU) def. Nuno, Sarah/Portalatin, Karla (CSF) 6-4
2. Makiba, Masako/Zeidan, Genevieve (CSF) def. Siobhan Anderson/Anna Romeka (LMU) 6-4
3. Elvira Juravliova/Camila Tumosa (LMU) def. Pham, Danielle/Acidera, Jadie (CSF) 6-2
Cal State Fullerton 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,2,5,4,3,6)
W. Tennis - 3/17/2018
#37 Arizona State Ends LMU Win Streak
W. Tennis - 3/14/2018
Athletics Director William Husak Announces July Retirement
W. Tennis - 3/13/2018
Lions Look To Tame #37 Sun Devils
W. Tennis - 3/13/2018
Lions Sweep Women's Tennis Weekly Honors
W. Tennis - 3/11/2018
Lions Take Down Gauchos on Road
W. Tennis - 3/7/2018
Lions Cruise to Victory over Seton Hall