Lions Fall to Buffs in Neutral Site Match, 6-1
LMU women's tennis finished a two-match trip to Santa Barbara, Calif. with a loss against Colorado.
Feb. 18, 2013
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- A weekend trip to picturesque Santa Barbara did not provide beautiful memories for the Lions, as the team lost to the Buffaloes, 6-1, in LMU's second match of the weekend. The neutral site match hosted by UC Santa Barbara saw LMU (3-3) fall behind after the doubles round of the dual match, then lose the singles round to Colorado (4-3) by a score of 5-1.
The Lions entered Sunday's match without senior April Bisharat, LMU's No. 1 singles player and ranked No. 19 in the Southwest Region, as she retired from Saturday's match with UC Santa Barbara due to an injury. This shuffled around the lineup for LMU head coach Jamie Sanchez who mixed up his #2 and #3 doubles teams.
The changes proved successful at first, as sophomores Tory Parravi and Lisa Piller got the first result in doubles for LMU with an 8-2 win over Colorado's Quevedo and Watrous. Junior Reka Rohonyi and freshman Kristine Kouyoumjian were then defeated by Janssens and Manzi Tenorio, 8-2, at court two. The point came down to #1 doubles, where Steur and Sanders beat juniors Miya Jin and Claudia Razzeto, 8-3, for the point.
In singles, the first match to wrap up was at court three as Rohonyi fell to Quevedo, 6-0, 6-0. Piller was defeated by Watrous 6-1, 6-0 in the next match to close. At #1 singles, Razzeto fell to Steur 6-2, 6-1 wrapping up the match for the Buffs.
20th-ranked Janssens defeated Tory Parravi on court two, 7-6 (5), 6-4. Jin lost to Sanders in the first contest to go to a third-set tiebreak after the match was decided, with a score of 4-6, 6-3, 10-6.
The Lions got their only point from Kouyoumjian who rallied back to defeat Manzi Tenorio 3-6, 6-4, 10-6.
LMU looks to bounce back after a weekend of defeats in Santa Barbara with a trip to San Diego, Calif. this Friday to face San Diego State. The match is schedule to begin at 2:00 p.m.
- GO LIONS -
1. Julyette Steur (CU) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Winde Janssens (CU) def. Tory Parravi (LMU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Dhany Quevedo (CU) def. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Erin Sanders (CU) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Mazy Watrous (CU) def. Lisa Piller (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Julyette Steur/Erin Sanders (CU) def. Miya Jin/Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 8-3
2. Winde Janssens/Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU) def. Reka Rohonyi/Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) 8-2
3. Tory Parravi/Lisa Piller (LMU) def. Dhany Quevedo/Mazy Watrous (CU) 8-2
W. Tennis - 4/17/2018
Golf Classic Continues to be a Highlight for LMU Athletics
W. Tennis - 4/14/2018
Lions Finish Season Perfect at Home, 10-0
W. Tennis - 4/13/2018
LMU Sweeps BYU to Move to 9-0 at Home
W. Tennis - 4/12/2018
Lions Are Back On The Bluff
W. Tennis - 4/8/2018
Lions Drop WCC Match at Gonzaga
W. Tennis - 4/6/2018
Lions Defeat Pilots in Road Match