Feb. 28, 2009
San Francisco, Calif - It couldn't get any closer. After capturing their first doubles' point this season, LMU Women's Tennis (1-6, 0-2 WCC) lost a heartbreaker to WCC foe San Francisco (4-2, 2-1 WCC). The Lions went extra sets in five of the six singles matches before falling to the Dons, 4-3.
The Lions started a trend in doubles. LMU went 2-1 in the round. The teams of Jasmin Heckel and Elisaveta Pironkova and Tina Razloznik and Shauna Morgan took home LMU's first doubles point of the season. In No. 2 doubles, Heckel and Pironkova defeated USF's Alana McMahon and Mylene Martin 8-6 while Razloznik and Morgan topped Julia Wartenburger and Jessy Mekoph 8-5 in the No. 3 spot.
Five of the six singles matches went into extra sets but LMU only took home two wins. Junior Jane Pringle and sophomore Jasmin Heckel took home the Lions' only victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Pringle took home her third singles victory of the season. After a stunning victory over No. 8 UCLA's Carling Seguso, Pringle defeated Cecilia Gratian 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 3 spot. After a brief illness kept her out two matches, Heckel landed back on top with her first victory in singles in the spring season. Heckel beat the Dons' Martin, 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 at the No. 2 singles position.
Freshmen Elisaveta Pironkova and Estelle LaPorte loss their extra set matches in the No. 4 and 6 positions. Pironkova captured the first set 6-2 but fell in the final two 6-4, 6-3 to USF's Wartenburger at the No. 4 spot. LaPorte also won the first set at the No. 6 position. Up 6-2 after one, the freshman from Hermosa Beach couldn't hang on to the momentum as she fell in the final two sets 6-4, 6-4.
Senior and team captain, Tina Razloznik
came close to an upset against the No. 64 player in the country, Jennifer-Lee Heisner. After losing the first set 6-4, it looked like Razloznik would carry out the win with a victory, 7-6 (6) in the second. However, the senior from Slovenia could not hold on and fell in the extra set 6-4. "Tina came the closest you can in a three set match." Head Coach Jamie Sanchez
said. "She is showing her high level of play."
LMU Women's Tennis (1-6, 0-2 WCC) will be back in action tomorrow in Northern California. The Lions will take on the Broncos at 12:00 p.m. at Degheri Center.
San Francisco 4, Loyola Marymount 3
1) Jennifer-Lee Heisner/ Cecila Gratian (USF) def. Jane Pringle/ Bliss Nixon (LMU) 8-6 2) Jasmin Heckel / Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) def. Alana McMahon/ Mylene Martin (USF) 8-6
3) Tina Razloznik/ Shauna Morgan (LMU) def. Julia Wartenburger/Jessy Mekpoh (USF) 8-5
1) Jennifer-Lee Heisner (USF) def. Tina Razloznik (LMU) 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-4
2) Jasmin Heckel (LMU) def. Mylene Martin (USF) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 3) Jane Pringle (LMU) def. Cecila Gratian (USF) 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-2
4) Julia Wartenburger (USF) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5) Jessy Mekpoh (USF) def. Shauna Morgan (LMU) 6-3, 6-0 6) Alana McMahon (USF) def. Estelle LaPorte (LMU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4