March 7, 2008
Honolulu, HI - Loyola Marymount women's tennis faced WCC rival No. 27 Pepperdine Thursday afternoon at the UH Tennis Complex in Honolulu, Hawai'i. LMU (4-9, 0-1 WCC) put up a good fight, but the Waves (10-3) were too much to handle for the Lions who were swept, 7-0 in the match.
Pepperdine captured the doubles point, as the Waves have earned the doubles point in every dual match this season. Pavla Mesterova and Tamara Tanner lost to the ninth-ranked doubles team of Sylvia Kosakowski and Bianca Dulgheru, 8-2. The win improves Pepperdine's duo to 12-0 on the season. Caroline Nothnagel and Jasmin Heckel were defeated by Jill Braverman and Anamika Bhargava, also 8-2, and Anete Bandere and Tania Rice notched an 8-6 victory over Tina Razloznik and Shauna Morgan at the No.3 spot.
In singles, Pepperdine did not drop a set, as #63 Kosakowski won in three sets over #54 Mesterova (4-6, 6-0, 6-3 ), Tanner lost to #48 Bhargava in a close match (6-2, 5-7, 1-1(10-4)), and Dulgheru registered a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Razloznik.
In more singles, Heckel lost to Bandere (6-4, 6-3), Nothnagel fell to Braverman (7-5, 6-2), and Liles stole the match from Audey Bulkley (7-6, 6-4).
LMU will next play on Sunday, March 16 at the LMU Tennis Center against another conference rival, Saint Mary's.
1. No. 9 Sylvia Kosakowski/Bianca Dulgheru (PEPP) def. Pavla Mesterova/Tamara Tanner (LMU) 8-2
2. Jill Braverman/Anamika Bhargava (PEPP) def. Jasmin Heckel/Caroline Nothnagel (LMU) 8-2
3. Anete Bandere/Tania Rice (PEPP) def. Tina Razloznik/Shauna Morgan (LMU) 8-6
1. No. 63 Sylvia Kosakowski (PEPP) def. No. 54 Pavla Mesterova (LMU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. No. 48 Anamika Bhargava (PEPP) def. Tamara Tanner (LMU) 6-2, 5-7, 1-1(10-4)
3. Bianca Dulgheru (PEPP) def. Tina Razloznik (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Anete Bandere (PEPP) def. Jasmin Heckel (LMU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Jil Braverman (PEPP) def. Caroline Nothnagel (LMU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Alex Liles (PEPP) def. Audrey Bulkley (LMU) 7-6, 6-4