LMU Falls Short at No.59 Santa Clara
The LMU women's tennis team came up just short in a 4-3 setback at No.59 Santa Clara Saturday.
March 15, 2014
Santa Clara, Calif. -- The LMU women's tennis team came up just short in a 4-3 setback at No.59 Santa Clara Saturday. After their first conference match of the year, the Lions drop to 0-1 in WCC play, while Santa Clara improves to 2-0.
LMU got off to a good start by winning the doubles point. On Court 2, Lauri Mueller and Ellie Grossman won 8-4 and on Court 3, Kristine Kouyoumjian and Reka Rohonyi swept their opponents 8-0. The two wins clinched the doubles point for LMU, giving them an early 1-0 team lead.
The match would be decided on the final court of singles play, where Santa Clara would do just enough to come out on top. The No. 59 Broncos came out strong to open up play, winning on the first three courts to finish, giving them the 3-1 team advantage. But the Lions would come roaring back to tie the match with two big singles wins on the bottom courts. On Court 5, Rohonyi came from a set down to defeat Nicolettle Wolny 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 in a close, hard-fought match. Grossman handled her opponent Elaine Chesoni 6-3, 6-2 on Court 6 to give the Lions another win. This left the match at 3-3, bringing the attention to Court 4. With the match on the line, freshman Lauri Mueller gave her all. After dropping the first set, Mueller battled to win the second set and pushed it to a third. In the end the Lions would fall just short, as Santa Clara's Stephanie Skaras would come out on top with the 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 win.
The Lions' next match will be Wednesday, March 19 at San Francisco.
1) #28 Katie Le (SCU) def. Jessica Perez (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
2) Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) def. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) 6-2, 6-0
3) Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-2, 7-5
4) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Laura Mueller (LMU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5) Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Nicolettle Wolny (SCU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
6) Elanor Grossman (LMU) def. Elaine Chesoni (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
1) Cooke/Le (SCU) def. Perez/Jin (LMU) 8-4
2) Grossman/Mueller (LMU) def. Rouvillois/Skaras (SCU) 8-4
3) Kouyoumjian/Rohonyi (LMU) def. Chesoni/Wolny (SCU) 8-0
W. Tennis - 2/22/2017
Women’s Tennis Drops Make-Up Game
W. Tennis - 2/17/2017
Weather Postpones Women’s Tennis Match
W. Tennis - 2/15/2017
Women’s Tennis Wins Third Straight, Tops UCI
W. Tennis - 2/14/2017
Women’s Tennis Hosts UC Pair on Wednesday, Saturday...
W. Tennis - 1/27/2017
Strong Singles Play Secures Women’s Tennis Victory
W. Tennis - 1/26/2017
Strong Start Propels Women's Tennis to 5-2 Victory