March 18, 2008
Los Angeles, CA -Loyola Marymount women's tennis played Yale Tuesday at the LMU Tennis Center. The Bulldogs (3-8) secured the doubles point, but the Lions (6-9) came back to win four singles matches to take the victory, 4-3.
Seniors Tamara Tanner and Pavla Mesterova won their second consecutive match at No. 1 doubles, defeating Jessica Rhee and Lindsay Clark, 8-2. Mesterova and Tanner are now 10-5 at No. 1 doubles so far this season. Unfortunately, the Lions lost on courts two and three, giving the doubles point to the Bulldogs. At No. 2, junior Tina Razloznik and freshman Jasmin Heckel lost to Stevi Petrelli and Janet Kim, 8-1, while sophomore Bliss Nixon and freshman Shauna Morgan fell to Yale's Lilian Nguyen and Lindsey Dashiell, 8-6.
In singles, 65th-ranked Mesterova clinched the victory for the Lions, winning her match on court one over Janet Kim (6-4, 7-6). Mesterova moves to 9-5 at No. 1 singles this season. Tanner lost on court two to Rhee (6-2, 4-6, 3-6), and Razloznik won her match at No. 3 singles, defeating Clark in three sets (6-1, 1-6, 6-1).
At the bottom half of the singles line-up, Heckel lost to Petrelli (6-2, 6-3), while sophomore Audrey Bulkley defeated Nguyen (6-0, 6-1). Morgan won her third match at No. 6 singles, beating Silla DeFilippis in straight sets (6-3, 6-1).
Next up, the Lions will play the 61st-ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers on Thursday at the Balboa Bay Club in Newport Beach, Calif. at 12:00 p.m.
1. Pavla Mesterova/Tamara Tanner (LMU) def. Lindsay Clark/Jessica Rhee (Yale) 8-2
2. Stevi Petrelli/Janet Kim (Yale) def. Jasmin Heckel/Tina Razloznik (LMU) 8-1
3. Lilian Nguyen/Lindsey Dashiell (Yale) def. Shauna Morgan/Bliss Nixon (LMU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. #65 Pavla Mesterova (LMU) def. Janet Kim (Yale) 6-4, 7-6
2. Jessica Rhee (Yale) def. Tamara Tanner (LMU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Tina Razloznik (LMU) def. Lindsay Clark (Yale) 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
4. Stevi Petrelli (Yale) def. Jasmin Heckel (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Audrey Bulkley (LMU) def. Lilian Nguyen (Yale) 6-0, 6-1
6. Shauna Morgan (LMU) def. Silla DeFilippis (Yale) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 4, 6, 3, 1, 2