March 19, 2009
Los Angeles, Calif -
On a bright Thursday afternoon at LMU Tennis Center, Loyola Marymount Women's Tennis (5-7) hosted Cornell Big Red (5-8) for their first of two home matches this week. After losing the doubles round LMU took all six singles matches for the 6-1 victory.
LMU began the match on top. Tina Razloznik and Shauna Morgan got the first win in the doubles round. Razloznik and Morgan defeated Catherine Duboc and Stephanie Kent 8-5 in the No. 3 position.
Their win wasn't enough as LMU ended its five match-winning streak in doubles. Loyola Marymount lost two close matches in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Jasmin Heckel and Elisaveta Pironkova couldn't hold on to their slim lead in the No. 2 spot and fell to Cornell's Elizabeth Googe and Shayna Miller 8-6. After being up 5-0, Jane Pringle and Bliss Nixon could not hold off the comeback from Natalia Sanchez and Sinziana Chiz and lost the No. 1 spot 9-8.
Cornell's lead wouldn't last long however. The singles round was all Lions. LMU won all six singles matches, five of them in straight sets. Tina Razloznik and Estelle LaPorte started the winning streak for Loyola Marymount. Razloznik defeated Cornell's Kent 6-2, 6-0 for her second win in a row and sixth victory of the year in the No. 1 singles position. LaPorte was right behind her with a victory in the No. 6 spot. LaPorte defeated Leah Seyburn 6-2, 6-1 for her fourth victory of the season.
Shauna Morgan, Jane Pringle and Jasmin Heckel capitalized in the No. 2, 4, and 5 positions. Morgan beat Cornell's Duboc 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 5 spot, Heckel beat Sanchez 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2, and Pringle defeated the Big Red's Miller 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 4 position.
got her first victory of the season in the No. 3 singles position. Pironkova defeated Elizabeth Googe in extra sets 4-6, 7-5, 10-5. Pironkova improves to 9-3 on the year and now leads the team with the best overall singles record.
Loyola Marymount Women's Tennis will be back on March 21 at LMU Tennis Center. The Lions look to extend their winning streak against No. 75 Louisville this Saturday at 10:00 a.m.
Loyola Marymount 6, Cornell 1
1. Tina Razloznik (LMU) def. Stephanie Kent (CORNELL) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jasmin Heckel (LMU) def. Natalia Sanchez (CORNELL) 6-2, 6-4
3. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) def. Elisabeth Googe (CORNELL) 4-6, 7-5, 10-5
4. Jane Pringle (LMU) def. Shayna Miller (CORNELL) 6-1, 6-4
5. Shauna Morgan (LMU) def. Catherine Duboc (CORNELL) 6-4, 6-2
6. Estelle LaPorte (LMU) def. Leah Seyburn (CORNELL) 6-2, 6-1
1. Natalia Sanchez/Sinziana Chiz (CORNELL) def. Jane Pringle/Bliss Nixon (LMU) 9-8
2. Elisabeth Googe/Shayna Miller (CORNELL) def. Jasmin Heckel/Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) 8-6
3. Tina Razloznik/Shauna Morgan (LMU) def. Catherine Duboc/Stephanie Kent (CORNELL) 8-5