Lions Lose WCC Opener to Waves, 6-1
LMU gets a singles point and one doubles win, but fall to the preseason conference favorities.
March 22, 2012
MALIBU, Calif. -- LMU opened WCC competition for this season at preseason conference favorities Pepperdine in a Wells Fargo PCH Cup match. The Lions (3-10, 0-1 WCC) were unable to upset the 45th-ranked Waves (6-6, 1-0 WCC), falling in their conference opener, 6-1.
The Lions started off the doubles round with a well-earned victory on court three. April Bisharat and Claudia Razzeto got a win over Ale Granillo and Megan Moore, 8-2, for the pair's third consecutive win since teamming up earlier this month. In No. 2 doubles, Ashley Anderson and Tory Parravi fell to Ali Walters and Arianna Coffer, 8-1. The point came down to the number ones. After tying the match at 4-4, 57th-ranked Khunpak Issara and Lorraine Guillermo won the last four games to secure the round for the Waves, winning 8-4 over Elisaveta Pironkova and Reka Rohonyi.
In the final singles contest, Reka Rohonyi earned the Lions only point with a 7-6, 4-6, 10-8 win on court six. In other matches, 123th-ranked Ale Granillo defeated Claudia Razzeto in No. 2 singles, 6-0, 6-2. On court five, Elisaveta Pironkova fell to Ali Waters, 6-1, 6-2. The Waves then clinched the match in No. 3 singles as Lorraine Guillermo beat Tory Parravi, 6-3, 6-2. Miya Jin lost 6-1, 6-2, to Arianna Coffer on court four. April Bisharat kept her match close in the second set, but fell to 94th-ranked Khunpak Issara, 6-0, 7-5.
The Lions host two non-conference opponents in Texas-El Paso and UC Santa Barbara before returning to conference play in a week. The match versus UTEP will be Sunday, Mar. 25 at the LMU Tennis Center at 11:00 a.m. UC Santa Barbara comes to town Tuesday the 27th at 1:30 p.m.
1. #94 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. April Bisharat (LMU) 6-0, 7-5
2. #123 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Tory Parravi (LMU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ali Walters (PEP) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 7-6, 4-6, 10-8
1. #57 Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Elisaveta Pironkova/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 8-4
2. Ali Walters/Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Ashley Anderson/Tory Parravi (LMU) 8-1
3. April Bisharat/Claudia Razzeto (LMU) def. Ale Granillo/Megan Moore (PEP) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,3,4,1,6)
W. Tennis - 7/31/2017
The 2nd Annual BeerFest Was a Hit
W. Tennis - 7/27/2017
WCC Announces 2017-18 Commissioner’s Honor Roll
W. Tennis - 7/13/2017
Women’s Tennis Adds Left-Handed Russian,...
W. Tennis - 6/23/2017
Incoming Lion Reaches Semifinal at ITF Women's Event in...
W. Tennis - 6/1/2017
LMU Announces Partnership with adidas
W. Tennis - 5/6/2017
Commencement LMU 2017 Honors