No. 34 Gaels Defeat Lions, 6-1
Freshman Tory Parravi gets her third straight singles victory, but LMU fails to win another set in singles.
April 4, 2012
LOS ANGELES -- After a successful weekend in northern California, the Lions returned to the LMU Tennis Center to begin a difficult home stand against 34th-ranked Saint Mary's. The Gaels proved too strong as No. 34 Saint Mary's (12-5, 5-0 WCC) defeated the Lions, 6-1, with wins in straight sets in five of six singles matches, the only exception being LMU's (5-12, 2-2) lone point.
Freshman Tory Parravi continued her impressive campaign by getting her third consecutive victory in singles. The win, Parravi's first in #1 singles, was her seventh in her last nine matches.
Despite the fact that the team did not win the doubles point, head coach Jamie Sanchez thought the team performed well. "We played very, very good doubles today," said Sanchez, "we just didn't `turn the corner'."
The round first concluded at #1 doubles as Ashley Anderson and Tory Parravi fell to Juillen and Frampton, 8-5. The Gaels wrapped up the point at court two as Isip and Chkikvishvili defeated Elisveta Pironkova and Reka Rohonyi, 9-7. Pironkova and Rohonyi fought back after falling behind 7-4 to tie the match at 7-7, but they were unable to make the full comeback. Despite the fact that the round slipped away, Claudia Razzeto and Logan Finnell battled back on court three for an 8-5 victory.
The Gaels cruised to victory in singles. Carla Lindlar defeated Logan Finnell, 6-0, 6-4, on court six. In #5 singles, Ashley Anderson lost to Cathetine Leduc, 6-0, 6-2. Reka Rohonoyi fell to Anna Chkhikvishvili, 6-4, 6-2, giving Saint Mary's the match. Juillen defeated Claudia Razzeto, 6-3, 6-3. On court three, Frampton defeated Elisaveta Pironkova, 7-5, 6-0. In the final match, Tory Parravi got the Lions only point defeated Isip, 7-6, 7-5.
The Lions are back in action Saturday, Apr. 7, hosting the University of San Diego at 1:30 p.m. at the LMU Tennis Center.
1. Tory Parravi (LMU) def. Catherine Isip (SMC) 7-6, 7-5
2. Jenny Jullien (SMC) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jade Frampton (SMC) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Anna Chkhikvishvili (SMC) def. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Catherine Leduc (SMC) def. Ashley Anderson (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Carla Lindlar (SMC) def. Logan Finnell (LMU) 6-0, 6-4
1. Jenny Jullien/Jade Frampton (SMC) def. Ashley Anderson/Tory Parravi (LMU) 8-5
2. Catherine Isip/Anna Chkhikvishvili (SMC) def. Elisaveta Pironkova/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 9-7
3. Claudia Razzeto/Logan Finnell (LMU) def. Molly Aloia/Catherine Leduc (SMC) 8-5
W. Tennis - 3/17/2018
#37 Arizona State Ends LMU Win Streak
W. Tennis - 3/14/2018
Athletics Director William Husak Announces July Retirement
W. Tennis - 3/13/2018
Lions Look To Tame #37 Sun Devils
W. Tennis - 3/13/2018
Lions Sweep Women's Tennis Weekly Honors
W. Tennis - 3/11/2018
Lions Take Down Gauchos on Road
W. Tennis - 3/7/2018
Lions Cruise to Victory over Seton Hall