April 8, 2010
Malibu, Calif.LMU was unable to make up ground in the PCH Challenge, falling to 54th-ranked Pepperdine, 7-0 on Thursday in a West Coast Conference match in Malibu. With the win, Pepperdine added another point to its total in the PCH Challenge, a season-long all-sport competition between the Waves (8-12) and the Lions (3-13). Pepperdine now leads 10.5 to 7.5.
The Waves won the doubles point with strong showings at the #1 and #2 positions. LMU claimed its only victory of the day at #3 doubles, but it was after the point had already been decided. Elisaveta Pironkova and Jane Pringle notched the 8-6 win over Andrea Oates and Tania Rice.
LMU could not capitalize on the momentum from the third doubles win as Pepperdine won all six singles matches in straight sets.
The Lions will look to snap its current four-match skid at home on Saturday when San Francisco visits the LMU Tennis Center at 1 p.m.
#54 Pepperdine 7, Loyola Marymount 0
1) Anamika Bhargava/Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Jasmin Heckel/Shauna Morgan (LMU), 8-4
2) Arianna Colffer/Ali Walters (PEP) def. Bliss Nixon/Melissa Valenzuela (LMU), 8-2
3) Elisaveta Pironkova/Jane Pringle (LMU) def. Andrea Oates/Tania Rice (PEP), 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1) #87 Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Jasmin Heckel (LMU), 6-1, 6-2
2) #120 Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Jane Pringle (LMU), 6-1, 6-1
3) Ali Walters (PEP) def. Estelle LaPorte (LMU), 6-1, 6-2
4) Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Melissa Valenzuela (LMU), 6-1, 6-2
5) Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Bliss Nixon (LMU), 6-4, 6-1
6) Tania Rice (PEP) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 6, 3, 4, 1, 5
Records: #54 Pepperdine 8-12, Loyola Marymount 3-13